THIRTY FOUR

The crowd erupted in applause as the cast was greeted with a standing ovation before the curtain dropped on them, and the music started.

Pops was smiling at Tito:

"Can you believe our Hector helped create this?"

Tito nodded. "Yes, I can. That ending was super dramatic, Tio."

"But it made sense. Chuy had nothing to live for, so fate intervened."

"My Tio's being deep?" Tito smirked. "Never saw that coming."

Pops glared. "Don't get smart with me, Tito."

Tito nodded. "Aight, I won't."

"Gracias. I already have one troublemaker who talks back to me in the family. Don't need another one."

"Fair enough," Tito said as Uncle Zeke walked over. "Papa, what did you think of the play?"

Uncle Zeke smiled. "It was great. The production was loco for a school play. Surprised they have any budget left for anything else."

Tito chuckled. "Me too, for a public school, they aren't doing too bad, are they?"

Zeke nodded. "Not at all. If they ever want a donation, they can drop me a line, and I'll sort them out."

Pops shook his head. "Stop being virtuous, hermano."

"They helped Tito a lot growing up, and they're helping your kids. It's for a good cause. We need to see them thrive and make it outta here." Zeke asserted. "Don't be so negative."

"I'm not. I'm being realistic." Pops said. "I'm gonna pick up my boys and bring them home soon. They need a good sleep for Mass."

Tito rolled his eyes. "Can you not argue here? And let the kids have their night. Let them enjoy themselves. I'll come back and pick up mi carnalitos later, aight?"

Zeke nodded. "We should let them have a good night."

Pops glared and thought for a second. "As long as they're back by two, then sure."

"They will be." Tito smiled. "I promise."

"Very well," Pops said. "I'll see them soon."

_______

The afterparty was kicking off.

All the performers went backstage after the parents rained praises on them. There were plates of pastries, chips, tortillas, enchiladas, taquitos, quesadillas, chicken wings, fries, flans, cakes, ribs, and steak strips.

Ricky loaded his plate with protein, as did Chuck. Mateo poured himself some juice and had a small bit of everything. He was eating away at things, as Ricky approached the table near Mateo.

Mateo turned around to face him and said his name quietly. "Ri-ricky please."

Ricky turned around. "What?"

"Y-you talk to me?" Mateo mumbled and nodded at a confused Ricky.

"You want to talk to me?" Ricky asked him as he sipped on some coffee. He held up a plate and nodded at Mateo, who was smiling at him, refusing to talk. "Aight, come on, spit it out."

Mateo sighed. "Are you alright? I wanna be friends again. Have you thought about things? I miss you so much."

Ricky laughed. "I've been thinking about things, and it's right if you wanna crush on me."

"It is?"

"A hundred percent. No need to keep running away from me. We can work on things."

Mateo's heart beat faster. He smiled and grabbed Ricky, then hugged him in front of everyone.