TWENTY TWO

"I-I'm sorry. I tried to get your attention."

Ricky glared at him. "Why?"

Mateo started to sweat and blush. He paused for a moment. His legs were wobbling like jelly, and he was losing his composure. "I wanted to talk to you..."

"Aight, but can't you see that I'm busy?" Ricky hissed back. "We're having fun."

"Yeah, I know–"

"--Are you jealous or something?"

Mateo glared back and shook his head. He tried to move back, but he started to slip and grabbed Ricky again. Ricky sighed and pulled him up before he fell on the floor.

He sighed and turned around to face Marisol, and said. "I'll be back in a moment, let me sort him out."

Mateo glared at her. "Don't tell Dad, or I'll tell him about you and Ricky."

She rolled her eyes. "Shut up. I'll tell him about your little crush if you do."

"No, you'll not." Mateo hissed as he tried to swing a punch at her. Ricky held him back in time. "What the hell dude?"

Ricky shook his head. "She's your hermana. Show her some respect."

Mateo sighed. "Why should I? She'd rat me out too!'

She watched as Ricky dragged Mateo out by the scruff of his next through the fire exit of the sports hall, and slammed the door behind them.

He walked him over to the other side of the wall, away from the gambling going on.

He helped Mateo sit down, and he joined him moments later. He let him have a couple of minutes to cool down and think about things, before turning around to ask:

"What the hell was that back there?"

Mateo shrugged. "Why are you dating my sister of all people?"

"Look, she likes me and she asked me out, so I obliged." Ricky nodded. "It's not like it'll go anywhere much."

"Of course, it will, don't bullshit me, Ricky."

Ricky took off his hat and wiped the sweat from his buzzcut before putting it back on. "You think I screw every heina I meet?"

"Well... you're handsome and they like you a lot..." Mateo smiled, as he tried to distract himself from the goosebumps creeping up his back, and the slightly electric feeling on his spine. "... And you probably have a lot of experience with them. I mean... you have condoms, and they look used?"

Ricky burst out laughing. "How the hell do you know that?"

"I saw a packet in your basement. Large Trojans. Several were out of it."

Ricky nodded. "It doesn't mean that it happens every time. Let me let you in on a secret... but you have to never tell anyone, aight? Or else I'll kill you."

"Okay, I'll try to keep your secret." Mateo agreed. "But if you do kill me, though, make sure you write 'Enjoy The Silence' across my headstone, you eat tacos and drink tequila to remember me at the after party."

Ricky smirked. "Aight. I really like your hermana, but more in a friendship way than a sexual way, and she's kinda cool to hang with. She kinda gets me."

Mateo laughed. "Marisol is cool? Well, I guess if you put her in the freezer for a few hours, she would be."

Ricky rolled his eyes. "Pops wouldn't even tell a joke that lame."

"Speaking of Pops, how is he?"

"Kinda pissed off with Tito, but he's glad that Luis's leaving you alone, finally, and that you tried your best that night."