THIRTY TWO

It was finally the last week of February and the final rehearsal for Fur Ass's play.

Mateo had told Ricky that he'd wanted to talk to him and resume their study group because Mateo's grades had dipped in Science, and he needed a new track buddy. Ricky needed more advice with his sculpture that wasn't going well.

They were all gathered in the drama hall.

Chuck was there, going over his lines in a corner, walking around in circles with the fakest tough guy accent ever with Mateo, arguing with each other in the script.

George was walking around and checking off all the props and making sure that everyone had the correct costumes. Jay was organizing the projectors in the corner, and cleaning them. He was in charge of the audiovisuals.

Max was humming to himself and going over the last of his lines. He was getting on well.

Yelena was there to support him, sitting in the corner, and her belly was growing bigger.

Pops wasn't as mad at Max becoming a Dad as much as he thought that he'd be (under the condition that he got a job, supported her and they got married eventually). Yelena's parents were there to support her too, (and help pay for the eventual wedding).

Fur Ass was going over some of the lines with people who still needed assistance. He went over to Ricky who was sighing in the corner.

Pammy was standing there with him, going over the lines as Maria.

"What's wrong, Dearie?" Fur Ass asked him.

"This pinche script is annoying me. It calls for me to sing at the end. I don't wanna sing that song. Les Mis has nothing to do with this play and it makes me hurt."

Fur Ass grinned. "You don't have to sing the encore."

"For real?"

Fur Ass nodded. "That was optional. You still have to sing at the very end, though. It's not long and is a part of the plot."

"Aight." Ricky glared. "I'll do that then. This is when Maria leaves me there at the hill?"

"Yes, it is. Then, we can fade to black at the very end of that song as the lights fade out. Just stand there, and look angry or sad. Not hard for you to do."

"Callate."

Fur Ass glared back. "Just behave, and don't ruin this for me thank you."

Pammy looked at Fur Ass. "He's doing pretty well. Ricky's improved a lot."

"I know I have, Pammy," Ricky smirked at Fur Ass. "But he's still being mean."

Pammy winked and nodded at Fur Ass. "Don't be mean, please. Tomorrow night's going to be good fun."

_________

It was eight o'clock on Friday Evening.

Parents and relatives were gathering around the Main Hall, and settling into their seats.

Jay, Ochoa, Jonas, and Henriquez were handing out Play Itineries to everyone.

Pops, Dory, Jose, Tito, Andrea, Jaime, Gloria, Nick, Gerardo, Jesse, and Uncle Zeke sat with Mateo Sr., Marisol, Chino, Oscar, Jenadine, Marcos, Coach Lopez, his wife, Esmerelda, Javier, Sarah, Chuck's Mama Ariana, and his sisters Joanna and Tatiana.

They were all up at the front, watching the main characters perform in the RESERVED section, anticipating a night to remember.

The sets were all immaculately painted, and drawn with care by the Art Department, in collaboration with the Drama Department. It took them two weeks to finish them up.

Jay was playing some eighties songs to get everyone in the mood for the play. The lights were slowly dimming, and the music was getting lower with each passing song.

Behind the stage, Miss Morales, Fur Ass, and George were giving everyone a pep talk:

"I want you all to go out there and try your best. Focus on your lines, and having a good time." Fur Ass smiled at them all. "Dearies, if you need anything, just let us know."

Ricky nodded. "Aight."

"Give it your best shot." George added with a nod. "If you forget your lines, improvise. Just don't swear in the middle of it."

Ricky laughed. "Aiight, we get it. No need for the pep talk."

Fur Ass glared. He folded his arms. "Ricky, don't ruin my moment, please."

Ricky rolled his eyes. "Aight, fine. Continue. Pep talk us into being hyped up."

Mateo sighed. "He's right, come on Ricky. Let him talk."

Ricky nodded. "Continue."

Fur Ass looked at them, and he smiled. "Basically, enjoy yourself. We're gonna have an afterparty, and we're gonna have some drinks at it. And snacks. Thank you all for the hard work and effort you've put into this, and for being on time."

Ricky winked and said, "no problem, hermano."

Fur Ass smiled and looked over at Mateo. "Special mentions to Mateo for being as consistent as he could be during his accident, and for everyone else being patient around him. Ricky, for helping him out with his lines, and Miss Morales for allowing this play to go ahead; for George's assistance, the help of the dram, and art department, and Jay's AV club for taking on the momentous task of audiovisuals tonight."

George nodded. "Everyone has been great. Without everyone's help, and the crowd out there, we'd be nothing. Please, be proud of yourselves for everything, and kick ass."

Fur Ass brought everyone in for a group hug, and then told them to have an amazing night before the curtain opened for the first, and final time.

The entrance music played as Ricky, Chuck, and a store appeared on the stage.

Everyone was ready for the best night of their lives so far.