TWENTY SIX

The game finished 2-0.

Mateo was substituted when he walked out, but he didn't mind that.

He was glad that they won, and that the team was concerned for him, especially Coach Lopez, who was glad that he was going to play the next game.

He eventually calmed down by the end of the game (and drank a lot of water), and enjoyed the long, hot shower he had afterward. He got dressed for bed and enjoyed his long sleep.

The next afternoon, he got up and made himself some noodles for brunch.

It was half past twelve, and the house was empty, but he felt great. There was no one there to annoy him, and he could play music loudly, along with his coffee.

It was a new day.

He was ready to go to Chuck's birthday, and have some fun that night.

He was finally turning seventeen.

He'd been put back long enough, and couldn't wait to graduate.

Mateo looked up at the clock, and let out a sigh, realizing that he was going to be late to work. He said that he was going to help Sr. in the kitchen for a few hours, as Marisol manned the front of the restaurant. And then study with Ricky afterward.

He got up from the table after he'd finished his noodles, got a shower, and then dressed into his blue shirt, khaki shorts, sneakers, and cross necklace

He made sure that his hair was neat, slicked back and his teeth looked clean before he packed a spare change of clothes, cologne, Tres Flores, accessories into a backpack and took the spare key from under the kitchen rug, and set out of the house with his wallet.

He walked to work on the sunny side of the street and got there with two minutes to spare. Tito waved at him, and he waved back. He said 'hi' before going behind the counter, and into the kitchen to meet Sr., who was checking his watch:

"You made it on time, I'm impressed," Sr. said as he looked at Mateo. "And you look and smell like you want to be here."

Mateo rolled his eyes. "Not like I have much of a choice, I need money."

Sr. nodded. "We're going to be making a fresh batch of taquitos, and empanadas–"

"--Can we close the store, but stay open 'til seven tonight? It'll be easier for us to just go to the party from here after we finish up studying."

"So you're working 'til five tonight?"

Mateo nodded. "So, that's twenty-five dollars, right?"

"Yes. That should be enough to get you some gifts." Sr. said.

"Can I do a full shift next Saturday, a half shift after school on Tuesday, Thursday and two hours on Wednesday? I need the money, and I will show up."

Sr. nodded. "You'll be on the counter next Saturday, and in the kitchen the rest of the time."

"Thank you."

"No problem, now put on your hairnet, apron, and help me out."

They made food for the next three hours and organized them into different piles for the chefs to prepare. Mateo was glad for the break, and he made himself a strong cup of coffee.

Tito was still there, counting money and smoking a cigar. He was wearing a black and white suit, and a hat with shiny dress shoes. He looked official:

"Yo, carnalito get me a pot of coffee," Tito said to Mateo, who was walking toward him. Marisol was taking a break, too. "Thanks."