PART FOUR: A NEW ERA

It was the night of the school dance, and Ricky was getting ready in Mateo's bedroom.

He was finishing off his art research, which he'd been doing in the library with Mateo. Something about architecture; Spanish, Mexican, and Tex-Mex vernacular architecture.

He slammed the book shut and put it back on Mateo's desk. "That's enough for one day."

Mateo nodded as he slicked back his hair with the last of his Tres Flores before spraying himself with some cologne. He was standing topless in front of his mirror, wearing a pair of tight, ripped jeans.

George Michael's Faith album was playing in the background, and Mateo was dancing, and miming along to I Want Your Sex.

Ricky raised his eyebrow and laughed at him as he finished 'ironing' his white t-shirt across Mateo's bed with a beer can. He put it on before sitting down on the bed.

"You're so weird." He said to Mateo, who turned around and glared back at him. "What? It's the truth, Ese."

"We've already been over this, Rate-My-Booger Cruz," Mateo said as he poked his head into his closet and pulled out three shirts that were hanging, before setting them on the floor. "Which one?"

Ricky burst out laughing. "They all look gay."

Mateo sighed. "Even the palm tree one?"

Ricky nodded. "But it looks the least fruity."

Mateo smirked and looked at Ricky. "You can't call me fruity. You're into fashion."

Ricky shook his head. "I don't want you getting picked on and looking like an idiot, that's all."

Mateo picked up the shirt and held it up to the mirror. He shook his head after a few seconds. "You're right. I should just wear a white t-shirt like you and my leather jacket."

Ricky rolled his eyes and put on his black trilby hat. "You're obsessed with George Michael."

Mateo shrugged. "And? He's a sex symbol, and everyone likes him, and his clothes are cool–"

"--He's like an adult, though and your balls only started to drop after your birthday this year."

"Callate, Ricky. I'm a late bloomer, and I'm gonna age like a fine vino." Mateo winked back as he took out a white t-shirt from the drawer under his shirt rack.

"Whatever you say." Ricky groaned as the 'Monkey on your back' song came on. "Why are you staining this playlist with your George Michael jerk-off songs anyway?"

"Because they're waay better than your stupid rap songs. Slick Rick? More like Mediocre Brick." Mateo said, as he sat down beside Ricky and put it on.

"He's a better storyteller than George Michael, he knows the streets. He has a unique flow."

Mateo disagreed. "George Michael creates atmospheres with his beats and lyrical prose. He takes me to another world full of sensuality beyond the physical realm."

Ricky fake retched. "Ay, that's gross. Too much information."

Mateo smirked. "Well, you challenged me, so I gave my honest answer."

Ricky knocked his knuckles on Mateo's. "Well, that was too much information. Anyway, it's good to know that I can finally tease you again soon."

"I'm so glad to finally have this pinche sling off, you know?" Mateo smiled. "I might finally get to do sports soon."

"Yeah, did everything go well with the Doctor?"

"Very well, he said I can have it off by Christmas. Best gift."