NINE

After the disappointment of Friday night's draw, Saturday's workload, and Sunday Morning Mass, the boys couldn't wait to go to Uncle Zeke's cookout bonanza; the Cruzes brought sticky ribs, burgers, steaks, beef tacos, and birria; George brought some of his Mama's Pinole cookies, Max and Yelena ordered some pizzas, Mateo brought ceviche tacos, tostadas, enchiladas, and Uncle Zeke had prepared a pot of mole, an assortment of tamales, menudo, quesadillas, flan, and a generous portion of chili con carne.

Chuck, Pammy, and Jay were glad that they didn't bring anything else along. The two large tables were filled to the brim with every conceivable thing they'd ever want (or need) to eat and even more than they could handle.

The pool was at the back of the garden, in a wide space away from the chaos. There were seats laid out, more tables and sun loungers sprinkled around the area.

The water was glistening and inviting. Mateo was mesmerized by the shine, and the small ripples the breeze made. He looked over by the palm trees, and the tiles around the pool.

Out of nowhere, Tito appeared topless and ready to dive into the water.

Mateo froze to soak in the moment. To see him glide across the pool, in his element; joyous, free, and floating like he meant to be there, letting the water wash all his stress away.

Eventually, after a few minutes, he came up to the surface to break Mateo's trance.

He stood back to let Tito out of the pool to dry off at the sun lounger.

Mateo followed him over as he wiped himself dry with a crisp white towel.

He sat down in the lounger next to Tito. His hands were getting clammy. He fanned himself a little bit, as he found it in him to find the right words to say, without messing up this time.

Tito put on his shades and looked over at him. "You came back."

Mateo nodded, as he tried to keep his cool the best he could. "I want to apologize for the other night... it was awkward..."

"You don't need to apologize anymore. It's hormones, I get it."

Mateo raised his eyebrow. "...You do?"

"When I was your age, I was horny as well. Once, I went to a girl and she was beautiful. I tried to ask her to the dance—but then I started to stutter and I pissed myself–she made fun of me for it, and now she regrets it. She's stuck with the freeloader Horatio."

"How did you make her regret it?"

Tito shrugged and said. "I didn't do anything, I just learned how to handle myself better around people I liked and try not to let the feelings get in the way too much. I looked rationally at the situation trying to see the bigger picture and I've been right most of the time."

Mateo nodded. "About love?"

"Yup, and I know what you feel is lust, it's coming from your animal instincts, and not your heart. You know that even if we do get close, it will make things very awkward for us both in a lot of ways."

Mateo sighed. He didn't want to admit that Tito was (probably) right. He was discovering who he was, and his crush on Tito was a fleeting feeling more than anything.

He thought that he should get out of his head, and explore other options; meet some new people, and see if any of them tickled his fancy.

The first school dance of the year was coming up. He could go to that and unleash his sexual tensions on some chica with long, wavy locks, red lips; a temptress with a seductive voice, a scent of chaos, and—no, he could at least dance the night away.