TWO

"Mendez, try harder!" Coach Parker yelled at him. "The net's just above your head. You've come this far, throw it!"

Mateo rolled his eyes and threw the ball at the backboard with little to no effort, before being met by a chorus of boos when he missed.

He was panting and needed a water break. He didn't care how many people were watching him, or calling him names.

Ricky was watching, amused from the substitute bench. "Yeah, try harder."

Mateo grabbed his water bottle and took a few sips before throwing it at Ricky. "Shut up. I did try."

"If you call that trying, I'm skinny," Chuck smirked.

"You shut up too," Mateo sighed, "I don't want to be here, okay?"

Ricky nodded. "I know, but you have to try harder to pass P.E."

"Why the hell did they have to make it compulsory here? I blame fatasses like Chuck."

"Callate, pendejo! I'm less weak than you are." Chuck hissed as he balled up his fists. "At least I can actually get the ball into the damn net."

"Wanna bet? Or are you scared that I'll win again?" Mateo asked. "I can jump higher than you."

Chuck stood closer to Mateo and tried to shove him. "I'm well built."

Mateo stepped backward in time. "Ha, you missed."

Ricky rolled his eyes and stood between them both. "How about you focus on your game, Mateo and draw less? It's the only way you'll pass."

"I don't want to," Mateo groaned, "I'm creative, not a caveman."

"Yeah, but you have to." Ricky looked over at Fur Ass, who was down on the pitch and reached over to snatch the ball from Max Sr, who was trying to impress Yelena. She had a free period. "Even FUR ASS is out there trying his best."

Mateo sat down. "He doesn't mind basketball. He's lankier than me and has good aim. I'm neither of those things."

Ricky shook his head. "You can't give up this easily. All you have to do is either make the team or just impress Parker enough to he gets off your ass. It's not that hard."

"Yeah, for you to do. Or Chuck."

"So you admit I'm a better player than you?" Chuck asked.

"You know what? I don't care. I am still a better jumper. Never said I was a better player." Mateo found an old team sheet crumpled up on the floor and straightened it out. "I'll never make it onto the team with the likes of Vasquez, Peterson, and Valdez. Or that kid Ortiz. They're all too good, no sense in trying."

"Yo, that's self defeatest to the core." Ricky rolled his eyes as he watched Mateo make an origami crane with ease out of the page. "You won't get good if you fold pages."

Jay walked over and nodded. "You have to do push-ups, laps around the track, and stretching exercises to pass this class. Oh, and weight training too."

Ricky glared at Jay. "Don't make it sound worse than it is, for him."

"Why are you defending him?" Jay asked. "You made fun of him once for falling off the monkey bars."

"Almost falling. I helped him up again. At least he tried last year. Now, he seems to have lost all interest."

"Because I need to focus on my art," Mateo said as he watched Coach Parker walk over towards him. "And not on dying, and I can't hurt my hand or injure my fingers because I need them to make my art, and get my grades."