Chapter Nineteen

11 years prior

I pulled a stool out as I took a seat at the counter, my mother humming as she tended to a heated pan placed atop the burner. The welcoming aroma of dinner filled the home, evoking comfort and peace as she turned to me with a smile. Stepping from her spot at the stove, she handed me a bowl of fresh kimchi, also placing a serving bowl on the counter for me to transfer it into.

"Could you cut this up for me, dear?" I nodded as I began to cut through the kimchi in front of me, creating perfectly bite sized pieces. Her soft hums of a melody lost to the wind filled my ears as she collected the dishes needed to set the table, placing them alongside the utensils before re-entering the kitchen and glancing over my shoulder to check my progress. With a gentle thank you, she took the bowl from me and carried it to the table as well before returning back to ensure the pot wasn't burning.

The door clicked open as Jiho made his way down the hall, dropping his bag across the backside of the couch and crossing over to the kitchen, taking a deep breath to enjoy the smell enveloping the room.

"Smells good in here, what are we having?" He took a seat next to me, leaning his arms forward on the counter.

"Tofu stew, are your father and Jungkwon on their way in?" Jiho responded with a hum and a nod, leaning back in his seat and crossing his legs.

"They're just dropping some things off in Dad's office." Jiho tried to peer over my shoulder as I scrolled on my phone, taking interest the moment a message appeared from the top of my screen. "Who's Ilsung, eh?"

"Yah!" I quickly turned off the screen, pressing the phone to my chest and staring at him in bewilderment. "Keep your eyes off my business!"

"Maybe you shouldn't be talking to boys right in front of your brother then."

"Oh no, she's already talking to boys?" A hand rests on my shoulder, my father peering over and glancing between me and Jiho.

"Are we going to need to have a talk with him? Can't have just anyone talking with our y/n" Jungkwon leaned against the counter with arms crossed, grin spreading cheek to cheek with a chuckle.

"No uncle! My god, he's just a friend from school, can we please not do this?" The heat radiating off my ears surely was leaving them to turn into red beacons of embarrassment

"How about you three leave her alone at least long enough to eat your dinner, it's just about ready." My mother spoke from over her shoulder, putting the final touches on the stew as father crossed over to her and placed a kiss on her cheek, both hands settled on her shoulders.

"Thank you dear, but Tiger and I are going to need to eat in my office tonight, we have some business to take care of." With a sigh and a forced smile mother took two bowls and poured the hot soup into them, handing one to each of them and shooing them off, then pointing the spoon towards Jiho and I.

"Don't think you two are getting out of eating with me though, I need my company."

~~~~~

I watched as the trees swayed in the distance, the yard framed by their tall stature and encompassing me within it as I curled up on one of the loungers on the back deck. The churning feeling in my gut never vanished from the night prior, leaving me uneasy and suffering from another restless night. I had instead chosen to pull myself from the warmth and comfort of my bed, letting myself sit outside and soak up the moonlight with the cool breeze of night brushing against my skin.

I hadn't spoken to my uncle since parting with the family, and hadn't had a moment to even contemplate getting back into contact with him since I came back, but seeing his possible ties to these operations at least left me with a little comfort that I hadn't.