Chapter 3

Jonica (Top), P (Bottom left) , Kevin (Bottom right) in mm*

Chapter 3

Kelly

Hitting my alarm clock I rose out of bed and took a quick glance around. I breathed a sigh of relief seeing I was still in my bed at my dad's house. I was about lay back down for a few minutes until I heard a knock at my door.

"Come in!" I yelled as best as I could

"Good morning miss Kelly your father told me to come make sure you're awake." Helen peeked her head in.

"Uh yeah I'm just waking up." I yawned and rubbed the sleep out of my eye.

"Ok breakfast is ready whenever you come down." She slowly closed to the door behind her.

I literally rolled out of bed and stretched. I walked over to my window pulling the curtains back letting the sunlight illuminate the rest of my room. I took a look outside to see the gardeners doing their job planting flowers, trimming the hedges and cutting the grass.

This is it. I thought to myself the last time I'll be seeing this before me whole world changes. I still can't believe I'm doing this. I walked into my bathroom washed my face and brushed my teeth. I casually slipped into my pink fuzzy slippers before making my was down the staircase to join everyone for breakfast.

My dad was at the head of the table drinking his coffee and going over emails as usual, Sam was quietly eating while our chief was placing more food on the table.

"Good morning." Sam spoke to me once I came into view

"Good morning." I spoke back taking a seat across from her at the table

"Kelly." My dad spoke not looking up from his phone.

"Dad." I gave him a simple nod.

I filled my plate with a strawberry cinnamon roll, scrambled eggs with cheese, and fried potatoes. I said my grace and dug in.

"Are you excited about seeing your friends?" Sam asked

"You told her?" I looked directly at my dad, taking a sip of my orange juice that was to the right of me.

"Uh I just said you're gonna be spending some time in your old neighborhood." He shrugged his shoulders as if it was nothing.

"It's ok I figured you're on a case. So are you excited?"

"Uh yeah in away I mean they played a crucial part in my upbringing, does mom still live there?" I asked my dad

"I had a few guys check for me and since you weren't around to pay any of the bills and with her drug habit getting the best of her, I was told she was evicted I'm not sure where she lives now I know you want to find her but don't lose sight of your assignment." His voice was concerning but stern.

I simply nodded. I never asked what the relationship between him and my mom was like before I came around the subject never came up on this end. When I was a little girl I did ask my mom about him but she never wanted to talk about it and as I got older she was never coherent enough to even have a regular conversation so I knew asking about my father was not going to happen. I understood my assignment fully but I also plan to find my mom no I need to find her.

"So how is this going to go?" I asked after a short silence

"Well as you know Jason will be your handler so around noon I want all your things packed up and loaded onto the U-haul like I said before you're going to be getting your own place just until the investigation is over, you'll also have your own car I want to make sure you're 100% comfortable and they have no reason to suspect anything. You and Jason will meet at the end of every week to share information and discuss matters of the case. You will have no contact with me or any of us this is just for your safety." He concluded

"Ok what can I not bring with me?" I asked to confirm

"Don't bring anything that ties you to me no family pictures, definitely not your trophy case or anything that has to do with the academy I'm going to give you 5,000 in cash just to get you started if you need more reach out to Jason and he'll reach out to me got it?"

"Yes sir." I replied finishing my breakfast.

"I suggest you get dressed and get packing the truck will be here at noon."

"Isn't this dangerous I don't like her doing this alone?" Sam cut in

"Dangerous? Yes these are some very dangerous people but given the fact she used to be friends with them I'm confident enough to know she will be ok and if anything goes wrong she'll give Jason the signal and we'll be there to save her. Trust me when I say nothing will happen to her." He spoke to say but more so to me.

She simply nodded but I could tell just by the look on her face she was not at all convinced. I excused myself to get dressed and to pack up the life I have known for the past 3 years.

I dressed in a gray YSL maxi dress with some black heels and my black YSL bag to match and began packing. Around noon the U-haul arrived on time just as expected. My dad and my brother helped the movers load everything on to the truck.

"Can I talk to you for a sec?" Sam pulled me to the side

"Sure wassup?" I took a look around to see my dad talking to the movers and my brother making sure all last minute things were taken care of.

"I just wanted to say I'm going to miss you I know it hasn't been easy adjusting to life here."

"Sam you know I'm coming back right?" I jokingly replied

"Yes of course it's just. Your dad told me about the living conditions you had to endure as a young child and then for you to have to be placed back in the same environment I just don't want you to lose sight of who your are." She rubbed my arm

"I'm not I promise." I gave her a small smile

"One more thing. I know I'm not your mom and I won't try to be but forget what your dad says I mean yes you have an important assignment but find your mother. Find her and talk to her make amends with her or whatever you have to do ok? Tomorrow isn't promised and you need this."

"I will and I'm going to miss you too." I pulled her into a tight hug

"Ok everything is all set here's your burner phone Jason will be contacting you on this. Don't give anyone else this number this phone doesn't exist understand?" My dad handed me a flip phone and walked me over to the truck.

"Yes sir, so the truck is taking me straight to the apartments?" I asked to confirm

"Yes the second you pull out of this driveway your assignment starts, it's a long drive so you should arrive sometime tonight. Your car will arrive tomorrow morning."

"So I guess this is it?"

"Kelly you got this I wouldn't have recommended you if I thought anything less I will be here every step of the way ok?"

"Yes I'm gonna miss you." I pulled him into a hug catching him by surprise

"I'm going to miss you too baby." He squeezed me tight and kissed the top of my head.

"Hey! no hug for me?" My brother asked closing the back of the truck after making sure everything was packed safely

"Come here." I playfully rolled my eyes

"Stay out of trouble or I guess get into it." He chuckled pulling me in for a hug.

"I love you and you stay out of it." I released him from the hug

I jumped into the truck putting my old address in the GPS. Next stop Lake View Apartments I said to myself seeing that it was a 5 hour drive. I pulled out of the driveway leaving behind my old life. Little did I know that was the last time I would see my family. If I knew then what I know now I would've turned around and went back. The last hugs even the last time I would hear their voices.