Chapter Five

Chapter Five

KILLIAN

Sa wakas ay nakakabit na rin ang painting ni Ilya sa office ko. Admiring it one last time as our staff tries to align the painting on the wall. One of them walks back to check again if it is perfect, and the other slightly adjusting it as per instruction.

     "I think it's fine." Saad ko sa kanila. They gave the frame one last sweep to dust, at lumabas na rin sila ng kwarto.

     The Ascension to Death. It was just on the floor for two days inside it's protective packaging, because I had a back-to-back meeting in the office. And it's now finally on my wall.

     The eerie artwork is the perfect decoration to my space. And I wonder if Calliope would be happy to see art in my house. She has been pestering me na i-decorate ko raw ang interior ng aking bahay. Adding a painting is okay na no?

     Naglakad ako papunta sa isang shelf ko at ginalaw yung isang libro doon, in an instant something clicks and the shelf opens and I entered. It may be just a normal storage room with some valuable thing for the eyes, but as I pushed a wall on the far right, I entered another room. This is my real secret room. Yung pinasukan ko kanina ay isang sound buffer at pain para sa kung sinuman ang magtangkang pumasok—ay aakalain lang na isa iyong vault room.

     Kung may gusto man silang kunin roon, I don't care. Mga counterfeited and replicas lang naman nandoon.

     Bumungad sa akin ang iilang monitors, a total of twelve to be exact. And I went to work. Hanapin natin kung sino ba si Ilya Gusarev, by using the full potential of the world wide web. Unang lumabas sa searches ay ang kanyang Instagram account, and I clicked it. Her feed consists of her artworks, a dog, and some events with the Gusarev Spirits. Is she related to Sergei Gusarev?

     Isa siya sa mga competitor ng Rivas. I must admit, hindi kayang tapatan ni Calliope ang mga alak ni Gusarev pagdating sa market. His products are somehow niche but are hella expensive. Hindi rin nakakatulong na his vodka is in demand in the country and abroad.

     I closed her IG and searched for her other social media platforms, her Facebook is inactive and her Twitter is mostly retweets and promotions. Bago ko pa siya ma-add or follow, sinara ko na yung browser and tried to search for Sergei instead. This way, malalaman ko kung saan address nila. Anf if they are living together, dahil silang dalawa lang naman magkasama sa buhay—no mother and siblings.

     Na-distract ako nang makarinig ako ng alert sa computer, napatingala ako sa pangalawang monitor sa itaas at nakita ang isang SUV na pumasok ng gate. I switched on another camera angle and saw the car stopped sa entry. May lumabas na iilang kalalakihan at pinagbuksan yung nakasakay sa gitna. My target hops out. I was looking for him at the gala, but he bailed last minute.