• rebellion of the heart •

heavily inspired by the story of kazuha and tomo from genshin impact
---

Hunter had fallen in and out of love. It was like the waves of the sea, feelings drifting in and out of the harbor of his heart. You were the person of his desires, of his deepest hatred, his admiration, and his proof of the human stupidity. He loved you, he hated you. He envied you, he babied you. The duality of it all made would've made your head spin.

If you were still alive, that is.

Hunter had lost you no later than a year ago, in a duel before the throne.

His uncle, Belos, oversaw the fight between Lilith and Y/n. You were a young, rebellious soul, but oh, so fragile. The duel was a long, unsure one. Lilith was hesitant to hurt a teen, you reminded her of her sister at that age, but she overcame the guilt. Belos struck the final blow. You weakened, panting on the ground, pleading for your life was something Hunter would not soon forget.

He could never forget your desperation as Belos turned his hand into a weapon with a shape edge and beheaded you. He didn't see your face when it happened, but he heard you stop pleading, stop crying. An eerie silence as the blade swung towards you.

You always wore the necklace that Hunter gave to you on your first date with him, back when he called himself Caleb and his his identity. He grabbed the necklace as it flew off you, determined to keep one thing about you alive.

He remembered running to the edge of a cliff where you two shared you first kiss. The happy memory soon left to fade into dust as he sat there and sobbed.

Your last conversation with him had been an argument. You found out he was the Golden Guard. You couldn't even look him in the eyes. It hurt him so much, but he let you leave. Unaware what you'd do. He had no fight left when he was in the wrong.

When word spread of a duel before the throne between one of the two humans and Lilith, he prayed it wasn't you. But he knew better. You were a rebel, arrogant and proud in your strength with glyphs. He wanted to stop the duel.

He was too late.

Now, it had been a full year since then. It hadn't felt like one. It felt like thousands of years. Hunter stared into his expression the mirror, with eyes empty and devoid of light. Unkept hair and cheeks stained with tears. His uniform was the only thing about him that was tidy.

The cemetery at which you were buried was full today, your friends who were here as much as Hunter telling you everything they'd done, how much they missed you. How everything would be different if you were here.

Hunter sat down next to Gus, he was acknowledged with a nod of the head. At first, everyone hated him for not doing something sooner, but they saw how broken he was without you. They see his grief as he struggled to even look at your pictures, him crying. They knew your death affecting him as much as everyone else. They forgave him.

Eda gave a look to the others at the got up, leaving Hunter to be alone with you. He placed a bundle of the most beautiful flowers he could find in front of your grave.

"Hey y/n, how have you been?" His voice cracked, and he started crying. "The night sky seemed so clear when we defeated Belos. You would have loved it."

"I wish I did see it..."

Hunter jumped. He heard your voice. Your sweet, delicate voice that he hadn't heard in a year. Opening his eyes, he saw your ghostly form sitting in front of him, looking almost as sad as him. If this was a hallucination, it was the best one he'd ever gotten.

"Love, it hasn't been the same without you." He reached out to touch you, but his hand phased through. You looked at it sadly.

"Everyday, I sit here, invisible, listening to all of you. If I could cry, I would've a thousand times by now. I've missed you all so freakin much! Everyday, I sit here, invisible, wishing I could go back and not go to that stupid duel. Caleb, I'm sorry I—"

"Don't." His voice sounded so broken. "Don't... apologize. It's my fault, I should have told you who I truly was sooner. I'm so sorry, Y/n. I forever will be."

"....I assume Caleb isn't your real name. What is it?" You looked at him, head slightly tilted.

"It's Hunter. My name is Hunter."

"Hunter.... honeybuns. I would've called you honeybuns. There, I finally called you a petname." You smile, a smile that held a thousand different emotions and feelings.

Hunter lightly smiled back, it felt strange to him. He hadn't smiled it so long, he forgot how light it feels on his face.

You were starting to become more transparent. "No no no... I wanted more time! I'm not ready to go yet!" You look down at yourself, terrified of the unknown.

Hunter noticed your panic and his smile dropped, fear replacing it. "What's going on?"

"I was stuck here because I had something I needed to do, and I got enough energy to appear today. I guess the one thing I need to do was," Your eyes widened. "Call you a petname. When I am gone this time, I'll be gone permanently."

Hunter's worst fear came true. He was losing you again this time.

"Love, you mean everything to me. I love you more than words could ever possibly say. Y/n, I love you so, so much." He teared up, watching as you faded more with each word.

You were barely there now, a slight imprint. "Hun-Hunter. I love you..."

You were gone. Forever. Where you were was a ball of light, but before Hunter could grab it, it shot up into the night sky, securing itself amongst the stars. Your mark on this realm of demons and witches finally claimed.

🎉 You've finished reading ||~ 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖚𝖆𝖗𝖉 𝕾𝖈𝖊𝖓𝖆𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖘 ~|| 🎉