40

|Aveline's POV|

"I told you if you need help, ask me." Carter's tone is serious as he says, "but no, you had to go to Nick."

"Ask you?" I hold in a scoff, "need I remind you that you're never home? Nick was there when it happened— when I saw that my room was thrashed. Were you?"

He goes quiet at that. He purses his lips in a thin line and sighs. "Whatever. What did Nick find? Did he find the guy?"

It's my turn to go silent. Because I don't know what Nick found. I haven't heard from him all day. I've sent him a few texts here and there but he hasn't replied to a single one— he hasn't even seen them.

"I don't know," I answer honestly, "we haven't spoken all day."

"Do you at least know who did it?"

"Brian," the name leaves my tongue resulting in Carter taking in a sharp breath. "Fuck," he mutters, "not that idiot. He's back? And you didn't think of telling me this earlier?"

"I didn't think it was important."

"You didn't think—" he cuts himself off, sighing, "Aveline, you know I hate that guy. He fucked you up. I should have killed him a long time ago."

Sometimes I can't tell whether these people are joking about the death threats or not.

"Your favorite people have arrived!" Ryver's familiar voice echoes in the house as footsteps follow, heading in our direction.

Carter lets out a sigh, he doesn't bother hiding his distain. Ryver rolls his eyes at him, "you could be more welcoming."

"It's too early for you guys," Carter waves a hand, "come back later."

"Aren't you leaving for work anyway?" Rhys asks, taking a sip of his juice while Nat walks over to him and places a kiss to the side of his head. He smiles at her, then returns his eyes to Carter, "they can stay."

"Great, I'm starving," Zale sits down on a chair beside me. He looks around on the table, surveying the food, "what have we here?"

"Where's Nick?" The question leaves my mouth before I can stop it. While Rhys and Nat shoots me a look of confusion, Ryver and Zale exchange knowing smirks.

"I don't know," Rhys is the one who answers, shrugging, "I haven't heard from him since yesterday."

"Me neither, actually," Zale adds, his brows furrowing as he looks at Ryver, "what about you? Have you—"

"— Nope," he shakes his head, his hand reaching out to grab my own glass of juice. I raise my brows at him and he only gives me a small wink in response before he takes a large sip from it. "Is he okay?"

"I'm sure he's fine, it's not the first time he's done that." Nat says, her eyes staying fixed on me. I hadn't told her about what happened in the cafe the other day— about Brian cornering me. But I know she suspects something. "Nick loves disappearing every now and then, he'll come back when he feels like it."

I know that. But still, it's weird and I know every single person in this room thinks so too.

"Oh," Ryver mumbles, "okay, then."