five: rosewood

"No. Absolutely not."

Gwendolyn was shaking her head with disgust as she looked over her daughter's outfit. Nicki was wearing a short black skirt, tied up band t-shirt, and the biggest jacket she could find. It was far too large for her and from the back it didn't look like she was wearing anything at all. Nicki had spent so long putting it together that she had almost missed breakfast, the rest of her family sat at the table with nearly empty plates.

"Go put on appropriate clothing, Nicolette," her mother snarled before returning to her cup of tea, making a point that the conversation was over.

Nicki rolled her eyes and made a dramatic sigh but headed back upstairs to change. Finally, she came back down wearing a long sleeve, floor length pink dress. She thought it was utterly cutesy and made her want to shame herself, but she knew her mother would have nothing to say about it. She could put up with pretending to be something she wasn't if it meant she could be present for the upcoming events.

When they had returned the night before, Nicki received an ear full of why she was a fool for running off on her own and causing such a scene in the human world and wasting the policemen's time. Nicki was grounded to the castle but thankfully, the party was coming to her.

Once the former queen was finally done scolding Nicki, Copenhagen swooped in and announced the invitation he sent to the young Demon that saved Nicki. That really made her mother swallow her tongue, to Nicki's pleasure.

Gwendolyn couldn't argue on Copenhagen's decision to repay Conrad's courage, so there they stood in the entrance hall awaiting the arrival of their guest. Nicki tried her hardest to behave, bouncing lightly on her heels. Captain Milo checked his watch from his post at the door. Conrad was late and it was already pushing her onto the bad side of both the captain and the former queen.

Copenhagen, however, held the same excitement as Nicki. He was wearing a button up shirt that was both formal and casual, so he was ready to have important meetings or go for a nice walk in the woods. Nicki guessed that he had spent just as much time in his closet trying to find the right outfit.

Tulip was timid in meeting the strange, yet courageous, Demon. She had listened to Copenhagen tell the story of her heroism with wide eyes but was still unsure on allowing a Demon into their home. Everyone had their own opinions but kept it to themselves as they heard a car finally pulling up to the castle gates.

They all checked themselves over once more, wanting to make the most of first impressions. Milo mumbled into his hidden microphone for a second before opening the hall doors and welcoming their guest.

Needless to say, all jaws dropped to the floor. Conrad entered the hall with her head high, like she was returning from a victorious battle. She wore a pair of men's tan trousers with a thick black belt to keep them up, and what was barely more than a black lace brassiere. Nicki gawked to herself, thinking how her first outfit didn't seem so scandalous now.

Conrad paused before she reached the Angels, like a vampire needing permission to enter the house. There was an awkward silence in the air as they waited for someone to make the first move.

Copenhagen was the one to break it, striding forward like he was greeting an old friend.

"Welcome to Rosewood Castle." He gave her a respectful bow. Nicki hadn't noticed yesterday that Conrad had an impressive amount of tattoos. Her arms were patched with different images, reminding Nicki of the denim jacket. Under Conrad's breasts and across her diaphragm was the outline of a longhorn skull.

She bowed low, arching her back like a cat. Nicki saw the shading of more tattoos on her back, but she couldn't make out what it was.

"Thank you for inviting me to your home, your highnesses," Conrad said loud and proud, her voice unnecessarily sweet.