Scylla 23: Hands of the Underworld

( trigger warning: blood/ there are scene that involves death, if you're not comfortable reading it, you can skip this part. Your comfort is more important )

"Greetings to the glory and the sun of the empire. I am Lixue, your majesty," Her cold voice sends shivers down to the spine of those who's watching.

The emperor looks flabbergasted, parang 'di niya inaasahan 'to. He thought that Lixue was a man, but she's a woman all along. Kitang-kita sa mata nito ang gulat at pagkadisgusto sa nalaman ngunit mabilis nitong kinubli ang negatibong reaksyon.

"Are you really Duke Lixue? I didn't expect that... you're a woman," saad nito pagkatapos makabawi.

"I am indeed Lixue, your majesty. If I need proof to support my claim, I have the sword that you rewarded me when I defeated the Calamity," She said in a calm voice.

Kumunot naman ang noo ng emperor at napahawak sa kaniyang baba, parang nag-iisip ng mabuti. He may hide the disgust on his face in the eyes of many people here, but not to me.

"Do you think something bad will happen to Scylla? She's a woman, the emperor wouldn't let this slide," Sovanna asked his brother who's quietly watching the scene. Worry is evident on their face, but they remain standing in their place.

The conversation between the emperor and Lixue was suddenly cut off when someone interferes them, "Your majesty!"

All of them look to the old man who's walking towards their direction.

"Pagpasensyahan niyo napo ang kapangahasan ko ngunit puwede ba akong magsalita?" Scylla hold herself to not to raise her eyebrow, takang tumingin naman ang mga Silvestre at iniisip kung anong pakay nito.

"Greetings to the sun of the empire, I am Viscount Millard and I would like to express some few words to Duchess Lixue," Tumango naman ang emperor dito at mwinestra ang kamay para hayaan magsalita ito.

"So, Duchess Lixue, many of us here are wondering if you really are the hero who defeated the monster years ago..." The moment he spoke, I automatically want to shut his mouth off because I know where this conversation would go.

"No offense, your grace. It's not like we're questioning your ability... but you couldn't simply do that, especially you're a woman. And it's not appropriate for a girl like you to hold swords and be on a battlefield."

Maraming tumango at sumangayon sa sinabi ni Viscount Millard, halos kalalakihan ang mga iyon. Wala namang nagbago sa ekspresyon ni Scylla at nagpatuloy naman sa pagsasalita ang lalaki.

The Silvestre's starts to calm down on their seats, they know that Scylla can handle that situation so well. She's been fighting for women's rights for so long, at may narating na 'to. It's been years since they lifted in the West Kingdom the law about letting the woman to practice swordsmanship.

At naitaas rin sa kaharian nila ang edukasyon tungkol sa kababaihan at iba pang kasarian. They want the young ones to learn at an early age about the importance of respecting each other's gender.

Hindi naging madali ito dahil may mga tumanggi at hindi sumunod, ngunit sa nagdaang taon, unti-unti namang tinanggap ito ng mga tao sa kaharian at mas lalo pang lumawak ang kaalaman nila sa iba't ibang bagay na hindi napagbibigyang pansin noon.

"With all due respect, just like what the emperor said. We shouldn't be greedy and learn to be contented for what we have. You shouldn't spread lies here, young lady. We expect to see the real Duke Lixue here." The Viscount finishes his words with a huge smug on his face.