Chapter 11: Rahim's Teacher

Start from the beginning

"I-I dunno for sure, but—"

Kain bolted from his set and grabbed the collar of Silver's jacket; though he stood to Silver's shoulders, Kain was strong enough to lift the admiral off his feet. "How could you have been so bloody careless?"

Vulduin snarled like an angry wolf when he stood up, and Kain immediately released his grip. "That's enough, now please, sit down. Kain, we don't know for sure, as I've said; this is all based on his hypothesis." Kain and Silver gave each other a firm nod and rejoined the Shadow Emperor in civilized company. "This whole ordeal has been too much for my liking."

Kain watched Silver like a predator eyeing its prey. "Especially after that trial, I would assume so. I would advise Genesis to tread carefully across these dangerous waters."

Vulduin's eyes darted between the two, but he sighed and said, "It's difficult giving away and parting with one's child," he nodded to Silver, "I wouldn't have parted with her to anyone less deserving." The three relished in the heartfelt moment, and before Kain could engage in playful banter, Vulduin added, "If I didn't know any better, I see that you have taken quite an interest in someone as well, Captain Vanguard."

Kain snorted as he took another drink. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I've seen how you looked at her when escorting her out of Alfheim to meet with Lord Godfrey's sentries. Oh, take care, my old friend; Godfrey will ensure her safety at Winterguard. What was her name, Maria?"

Kain looked away and closed his eyes, but he didn't deny it; Vulduin sneered but then warned, "I pray we haven't drawn too much attention to ourselves—Vidar has been off his rocker."

Silver scowled. "If only Aydin Jormungand were still here. The Council had never been in such disarray before."

Vulduin cringed at the mention of Aydin's name, but he agreed. "You're right, but alas, he's not here anymore." He pulled out a sealed parcel and handed it to Kain. "Please, deliver this and give my regards to Lord Vincent Godfrey in Dark Blood Hold, as I believe the next time he and I meet will be under different circumstances." He then turned to Silver and bowed. "Thank you for the tea, but I'm afraid I must take my leave."

Silver raised a brow. "So soon, and when I was getting used to having your company?"

Vulduin scoffed and donned his mask. "I must reach Snowhaven and then Starsong. Farewell." Before stepping out the door, he had transformed into a massive, red dire wolf in mid-spring down the stairs, his sleek and glossy pelt shining in dawn's light. His claws clicked against the rocks, crimson fur bristling along his spine and tail.

When Silver and Kain approached the door, Vulduin had vanished beyond the lake as he soared across the ground in gigantic leaps, traveling at Divine's speed.

*****

Soaring through Armageddon's arctic skies was a freeing, exhilarated rush that reminded Selena of what it meant to be a dragon. Maintaining a steady speed of about fifty kilometers calculated by Azrael, Thor and Doragon flew beside each other, sailing across the breath of the Divines as their favorable wind gently ushered them away from Alfheim. The rejuvenated dragons had spent a few hours in flight, fresh like the new rising sun now peering over the horizon. Though Armageddon was always icy due to the continent's proximity to the far north, Selena was wholly warm, courtesy of Silver's gift.

Her stomach rumbled with hunger when Rahim rummaged through one bag and pulled out bread and cheese. To her shock, Rahim broke off pieces to hand them to her. "I have plenty to share."

"I'm surprised by your sudden generosity, as you never share."

The offended Rahim stuck up his nose, but he asked about her dragon abilities, seeing as they finally had time for a proper discussion. Owing him the truth, Selena regaled him of her discovery, as Kain had rescued Rahim before witnessing her initial transformation. He grinned, and all he could say was, "Wicked."