The Spirit Tree

Atuiko and Roxto were walking quietly along the beach. Neither had said a word. "Well?" spoke up the younger one.

"What?' asked Roxto.

"What have you got to say? Why did you wanna talk?"

"I just...wanted to say that...I'm sorry,"

"Yes. I know you're sorry for knocking Lo'ak out and getting him into trouble," he brushed off.

"Yes, that...but I just wanted to say...I'm sorry for not being the brother I should have been," Roxto's words made Atuiko stop walking. But he didn't turn to him. "I was too focused on keeping my friendship with Aonung and the others that I didn't think about your feelings. Ever since..." he swallowed a lump in his throat. "...mother passed away, I just...I wanted to distance myself from you because....because you resemble her so much," as he spoke, Atuiko was brought to tears; he pursed his lips and sniffled. "But I realise now it was wrong. And I'm sorry for that. And I truly am sorry for being jealous of Lo'ak. He was there for you. And I wasn't. I really want to be a good brother to you again. I don't care what you said to me before,"

"I'm sorry too," Atuiko said. "Mum would have been ashamed if she knew what I'd said to you,"

"No, you had every right to say that. I still let Aonung do something so horrible that it endangered your friends like that. And I should have known better than to support him,"

"It's gonna take some time...for me to forgive you. But she wouldn't have wanted us to hate each other like this. And neither would they," he knew that Lo'ak's encouragement earlier meant that he wanted them to make amends with each other.

"I accept that Lo'ak will be another brother to you and Sylwa is like a sister to you. I know now that it means more for you and not less for me. I am never gonna stop trying..."

Atuiko threw his arms around his waist. And Roxto embraced him back. "I miss Mum too," he sniffled. "Our family broke when she died. And even our father is so distant with us,"

Roxto nodded. "I can't believe I'm saying this but...I like that those forest children came. And I'm grateful to them for saving my life. And for making you happy and helping you,". His little brother was so happy to hear him say that.

..................................................................................................................................

Lo'ak was sitting down at the edge of a cliff, staring out into the distance. He sucked in a deep inhale of air. For the first time in his life, he was feeling less alone than he had ever felt in his entire life. He finally met someone who knew exactly how he felt, a spirit brother. And even better, he and his family didn't have to worry anymore about being bullied or tormented. He felt as if things were getting much better. It would be night very soon. He heard loud giggling. He peered down and he saw Tsireya and Sylwa in the water laughing together, splashing each other. He smiled. He was so happy to see them spending quality time together. He wondered what it would feel like being in his sister's shoes, to look so joyful with someone as sweet as Tsireya. He stood up but when he turned, Neteyam was right in front of him. He jumped. "What the hell..."

"Lo'ak..." His brother sounded serious. He took a deep breath and sighed. "You and sister need to stop going beyond the reef,"

"What?"

"You two are gonna get into trouble. And I don't trust that Taquamare,"

"His name is Tsu'tey," Lo'ak said boldly.

"How do you know that?"

"He couldn't remember his name. He lost his family. He saved my life. He could have let me drown in that storm, but he didn't. And that night when I went missing, his mother saved me. I owe him,"