[ chapter eight: schedule change ]

Start from the beginning

"You know, you could've talked for a little while longer. We still have ten minutes," he told me, receiving a shrug in response.

"I would've but it seemed as if we had an audience," I explained, earning a sly smirk in response.

"Did you stop talking because you wanted to have more time with me?" he asked. I looked down the hall, noticing that Elliot was still in the same corridor.

"He's not that far, I can call him back if that will prove anything," I responded. Phoenix chuckled and shoved his hands in his pockets.

"You don't act stupid around him," he blurted.

"What?" I asked.

"Well, around Aaron, you'd stutter and say embarrassing things," Phoenix shrugged. "But you seem...calm around Elliot."

"Because I don't like him," I told Phoenix. He sighed.

"Now I have to find another guy for you to fall in love with," Phoenix replied. "Playing matchmaker is hard work."

"I'd offer to help you find a girl but it doesn't seem like you have much trouble," I mumbled as we passed a group of girls who scanned Phoenix like a price tag. I'm not sure if he noticed. "But you do have trouble sticking to one."

"I haven't liked any of them enough to stick around," he told me. "They all get boring after a while, and I can't deal with boring. There has to be excitement in a relationship."

"I wonder how you're going to be when you get to college," I muttered.

"How often do you wonder about me?" he smirked, earning a sigh in response. He held open the auditorium door for me, getting a single finger response.

+ + +

Valerie seems to be enjoying my torture because she continuously makes us pair into two people groups. Phoenix always makes sure to partner up with me, either by lightly tugging my arm or putting his hands on my shoulders. I never really bothered to choose another partner, mainly because there wasn't anyone else to choose. I would only sigh and wait for further instruction from Valerie.

Phoenix and I have to return to the computer lab and mark down which staff members agreed to chaperone and which ones said maybe. I led the way to the library, seeing as Phoenix was too busy dancing around the hallways like an idiot. I rolled my eyes, though I would occasionally let a chuckle slip and mentally scold myself for it.

"My offer's still on the table by the way," he informed me.

"What offer?" I asked as I settled down at the computer in the back of the lab.

"Homecoming," he replied. I simply gave him a confused look and he sighed, spinning around in his chair. "If you decide you don't want to go with Elliot, I'll go with you." I scoffed and he stopped spinning. "I'm serious."

"Like I'd go with you," I replied.

"Well, you said you don't want to go alone," he continued.

"Yeah, but going with you is as good as going alone. You've got so many friends that I'll only enter with you and leave with you- if that," I responded.

"I won't ditch you," he told me. "When have I ever left you alone? Aren't you always complaining that I annoy you?"

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Whatever."

"So if things don't work out with Elliot, just know I'm perfectly content with being the last option," he told me as he crossed his legs on the chair. It looked uncomfortable; his long legs seemed cramped. "And I couldn't help but notice-."