"Breanna," he says my name softly, almost a whisper.

"Leave. Please." My voice breaks a little.

And so he does.

When the door shuts behind him I make my way back to the kitchen, shut off the stove, and lean over the sink.

Turning it on, I splash some cold water on my face.

What am I doing? I never should have practiced with the Lieutenant.

Ghost is a bad idea.

- TIME SKIP -

A few days pass and things between Ghost and I are tense. We've pretty much been avoiding each other; talking only when we need to.

Ghost essentially told me what to train on and sent me on my way.

I hate this. I already struggle socially and now my partner for this mission refuses to engage with me.

It's late at night, around 8:30 PM.

I can't take this anymore. The racing thoughts are consuming me.

I walk outside my quarters and walk directly across to knock on Ghost's door.

I wonder if he'll answer...

Just as I'm about to turn around I hear the sound of a door creaking.

Ghost is standing in his doorway with a tight black t-shirt, grey sweatpants, and only a black balaclava.

He looks good.

Stop it. Focus on the objective, not the objective's body.

"Yes?" He asks skeptically, crossing his large arms.

What am I doing here, actually? I didn't think of a course of action, or what to say. I impulsively rushed over here.

"We aren't finished," I tell him.

"We aren't finished with what?"

"With the other day. You spouted some bullshit and we're not finished," I turn my nose up at him, attempting to assert some semblance of dominance.

Not sure how well that works against the largest man I've ever met.

Ghost lets out a pained sigh and moves to the side, allowing me access to enter his room.

"You're the one who told me to leave..." Ghost rolls his eyes.

We walk inside his quarters. Ghost closes the door behind us.

He starts. "Wha-"

I cut him off.

"How dare you? You don't know me. How can you say that I'm emotional? How can assume that I won't be able to handle the mission? Doubt me?" I cry out.

He looks down at me, his gaze soft.

"I was being honest with you.," he says as gently as he can but that doesn't lessen the blow to my ego.

Goddamit.

I know he's right. But I don't want to accept that.

"You still don't know me. You came to my quarters to "practice", and then when we were finished you all of a sudden were questioning my competency for the mission. Why then?" I ask, flailing my arms awkwardly.

I sound stupid. I feel panicky.

"Breanna," Ghost says my name firmly, almost as if in a warning.

What had I done that could have made him concerned in that moment? Perhaps it wasn't anything I had done. No, perhaps it was something someone told him. Or something he discovered.