01 || THE NIGHT

When it came to woman, there was one thing that Otis knew for certain that he didn't have and that was luck.

Throughout his whole life Otis struggled with woman. He struggled with dating, with romance. To tell the truth when it came to anything at all in that whole department he really sucked at it. He wasn't a player or a ladies man like Severide. He hadn't married his childhood sweetheart like Herrmann or met his wife at the scene of an fire like Chief Boden.

Hell, he didn't even know how to act around women sometimes. How to be smooth around a woman. How to talk to them in a way that wouldn't end with him embarrassing himself or saying something dorky to turn them off him.

All in all Otis thought he was pretty useless in that department and he was ready and willing to accept that as there wasn't really much he could do about it. He figured that he'd most likely be alone for the rest of his life and while that wasn't what he would have hoped for, it's what he knew he'd have to settle with. That was... Until one night, one drunken yet incredible night, where his life, and his luck, would change forever.

It was the night of his brothers ten year wedding anniversary. A night his mother had been planning for weeks in advance to make sure it went perfectly for her eldest son. And it was a night that Otis was dreading. Absolutely dreading. So much so that his entire arrival at the party had taken Cruz forcing him into his suit and out the door otherwise he'd have never even have shown his face.

Otis loved his brother, of course he did, and he was happy for Vlad and the ten happy years he'd been married, but he knew that the entire night would consist of his mother constantly badgering him about when he'd find a nice girl to bring home. And in all honesty, he couldn't handle that. Not again. Christmas had been bad enough.

So the second that Otis heard his mother begin the speech he'd quickly grown to hate so much, he excused himself from the family table and weaved his way through the other guests as he headed straight for the hotel bar. He sat there, ignoring the going's on around him, for what felt like hours, his back to the room and the strongest drink on the menu in his hand as he began to wonder why he even bothered to leave his apartment in the first place.

Downing the last of his drink, which had him cough lightly from the mere strength of the alcohol, and after deciding he'd wallowed in his own self pity long enough for one night, Otis turned on his stool. He was about to slide off and head to his hotel room for the night, when the most beautiful woman he'd ever had the pleasure of feasting his eyes on, approached the bar, making him swiftly stop what he was doing.

The long, black, silk dress that she wore clung tightly to her body, emphasising her curves in all the best ways. White strands of her hair blended with black ones, the two colours weaving together to create a perfect ombré effect and when she brushed it to one side, it offered Otis a clear view of the backless nature of her dress. And made him incredibly dry mouthed in the process.

From the second he laid eyes on that woman, that so incredibly out of his league woman, Otis knew for certain that there was absolutely no way in hell she'd even look at him let alone talk to him. But at the same time he found that instead of sliding off his stool and heading for his room like he'd been planning to, that he had turned back around on his chair to face the bar again, as you never know when your luck might change.

"Can I get a scotch, please? Neat." She asked the bartender, with what sounded like the same kind of mental exhaustion Otis felt himself right now in her slightly husky voice. The voice that sent an immense chill down Otis's spine the second it reached his eavesdropping ears.

With a brief response from the bartender, the woman hopped onto her stool. The stool that was just one down from Otis, that had his body tense greatly and he swallowed harshly at the mere thought of her being so close to him that he could touch her. He watched subtly from the corner of his eye as she rested her hands against the bar top, fiddling with her long, black pointed nails before beginning to twirl the ring on her finger, almost anxiously.