08 || FOUND

Finding out that Cruz and Sylvie had been dating for the past week or so came as quite the surprise for Otis when he found out. Or more so rather the way that he'd found out which had only been because Sylvie and Mills got kidnapped by literal mobsters and Cruz couldn't control his emotions throughout it all, otherwise he was pretty sure Cruz never would have told him which in all honesty had annoyed Otis a little bit.

Over the weeks since his brother's engagement party Otis had told Cruz literally everything about what he was going through in terms of his feelings and how things were going in his search for his mystery girl and yet Cruz didn't even think to tell him about his new girlfriend. Or that he'd even been planning to ask Sylvie out which if he had then Otis would have given him nothing but support as at least one of them deserved to be happy.

"I just thought, as your friend and roomie, you could have told me you and Brett were a thing." Otis shrugged, leaning against the firehouse kitchen counter and acting as though he didn't care when really he did.

"I didn't want to speak too soon, okay? Especially not when you're going through what you're going through." Cruz replied, guilt clouding his face as he took a sip of his coffee, needing it to wake him up as even after a full night's sleep he was still tired from the events of the past few days.

"Cruz, just because I'm an idiot who can't remember the name of the girl I like doesn't mean I don't want you to be happy." Otis replied around a brief chuckle, Cruz's gaze shifting downwards to the steaming mug he held in his hands. "What, did you think I was gonna be pissed at you for finding a girl just because I can't find mine?"

"No, I just..." Cruz sighed, his shoulders falling a little before he lifted them along with his eyes to look back at his friend, who he knew he should have told but he just didn't want to risk him falling back into that slump he got himself into often over said girl. "We're still dipping our toes in the water."

"And how's the water?" Otis asked curiously, sipping his own coffee a little louder than usual as he raised his eyebrow, watching the way Cruz's lips widened into a smile.

"I'm optimistic." He nodded, following Otis out from behind the kitchen counter and towards the table, where the two of them sat down to enjoy the rest of their coffee before the bells inevitably went off.

"Good." Otis said gladly, setting his cup on the table in front of him as he stretched his arms over his head. "Meanwhile, I'll be over here thinking about my mystery girl and those charcoal grey eyes of hers... That pretty smile..." He continued, making Cruz chuckle as for once he wasn't talking sadly about her, more so reminiscing. "The softness of her black and white hair..."

A muffled splutter came from Cruz's direction, cutting Otis off and making him look over at him with a deeply furrowed brow, catching a glimpse of Cruz's own semi-furrowed brow that sat over his half squinted eyes as he wiped the coffee that had splashed onto his chin away with his sleeve.

"Black and white hair?" He repeated around a cough, abandoning his now half empty coffee as most of it was now covering his t-shirt thanks to this new found information that would have come in handy, oh just several weeks ago!

"Yeah, why are you so surprised? Cruz, I told you this the day after I met her." Otis replied, his face shifting into that which he got when he was deep in thought. Now that he'd said it out loud... He couldn't quite recall mentioning the fact that not only was her hair black, but that it was also white.

"No, no..." Cruz said defensively as he stood up, pointing accusingly towards Otis, which had Mouch a touch confused as he walked slowly into the room and debated whether he should walk straight back out. "You told me that she only had black hair... You didn't say anything about her hair being white as well."