13 || I LOVE YOU

[ warning: there is a smut scene towards the end ]
-

It was officially springtime. The winter had thawed, the days were getting warmer and brighter. Flowers were in pre-bloom. Birdsong drifted melodically through the dew filled air, making for a rather peaceful morning to wake up on.

Rolling onto his side, Otis took a moment to simply gaze at Dani, her eyes closed, her lips slightly parted and her hair sprawled out all over the pillow which was a little bumpy as she had one arm tucked away beneath it. It had been a month since the first time he got to wake up next to her, but her face was still the only thing he looked forward to seeing when his eyes eventually fluttered open.

Otis shuffled closer to her, pushing a few strands of hair from her face before he leaned in, placing soft kisses along her jawline, making her stir lightly in her sleep. He continued, travelling down the side of her neck, lips lingering in that one spot he knew always drove her crazy, even in her sleep as she was already humming softly at the brush of his facial hair against her skin.

The two of them had talked recently about boundaries when it came to wake up calls, as most couples should in order to have a healthy relationship. And Otis had quickly learned that he was free to kiss and touch her as much as he wanted, just so long as he didn't travel too far south.

"Mhmm." Dani grumbled sleepily, rubbing her cheek against the softness of her pillow as Otis continued to trail his lips down her body, tracing the curve of her waist until he reached her hips, where he stopped and went straight back up the way he came.

Dani's eyes soon began to flutter open, blinking fast to adjust to the early morning light as she glanced down at Otis, nothing but the top of his head in view as he worked his lips along her collar bones. She lifted her hand, threading her fingers through his hair, telling him she was awake without needing to speak. His head slowly raised, a smile growing on those soft lips she could never get tired of feeling on her.

"Good morning." Otis greeted, his voice sleepy, almost gravelly which had a fierce tingle shoot down Dani's spine, her body erupting in goosebumps, much like it did every morning.

"Mm, it is a good morning." She said softly, pulling her lips between her teeth as she leaned down, brushing them against Otis's. "A very good morning." She added, planting them firmly against his for her most favourite thing in the world. Their good morning kiss and the best part of her day.

"It's shift day." Otis whispered, his tone equally as disappointed as the look on Dani's face when she heard him.

"Don't ruin the moment." Dani kissed him again, his lips smiling against hers as he couldn't help but chuckle.

Pulling back a little, Otis simply gazed down at her, the adoration in her eyes mirroring that which were in his own as he ran his thumb down the side of them, feeling as her face lifted when she smiled. Dani always loved when he'd look deep into her eyes, allowing her a chance to see past the twinkle of his irises and to the love that lingered behind them, waiting for the perfect time to rush the barrier and spill out over his lips.

Otis had been thinking about the perfect time to tell her that he loved her since... Honestly ever since that day she came to visit him at the firehouse. He didn't care if it was too soon. Didn't care if it sounded crazy. He was so head over heels in love with her that it honestly scared him a little, and he desperately wanted her to know that. But no matter how perfect a time may be, like now and every morning since that day, he could never seem to find the courage to do so.

"What are you thinking about?" Dani asked softly, bringing her hand up to gently draw her thumb down Otis's temple, snapping him from his love induced gaze.