07 || HOSPITAL

In the few weeks that went by after his conversation with Casey about not needing to impress his mystery girl once he found her, Otis had nothing more impressive to show for himself other than what happened today. All that time and he hadn't had one single exciting call that he could subtly brag about, unless you could count a stuck elevator which at this point was the only time he was ever really able to get his hands dirty.

But today? Today he had had to use every ounce of strength he had in him to physically lift a helicopter rotor mast off of a woman to stop it from crushing her to death and in his mind, regardless of whether it happened to be the smallest part of their crazy day, it certainly counted towards an impressive story he could hopefully tell his mystery girl if he ever got lucky enough to find her.

"Hey, Otis, any luck with this girl of yours?" Sylvie asked curiously as she took a seat at the table, a much needed cup of coffee in her hands after the day's crazy events. Here's hoping it would be a quiet rest of the shift as she was on the verge of complete exhaustion.

"No, not yet." Otis sighed in defeat, his tired eyes glued to his mystery girl's ring that once again sat in the middle of his palm. The guys were used to seeing him stare down at it as the ring usually frequented his hand during his down time as it was the only way Otis could think of to make sure he didn't completely forget about her in all the time they'd spent apart.

The other day he'd nearly forgotten what she looked like and almost threw himself into a complete and utter panic before her face, thankfully, appeared in his mind again. After that he made sure to do whatever he could to make sure he never forgot her. Otis never wanted to have to go through that moment again, the one where he felt her slowly slipping through his clumsy fingers, which is why he was hoping, no, praying rather as it had gotten to that point, that one of these days would be the day on which he finally found her.

"What about Trudy? Has she heard anything about the ring?" Sylvie questioned, her lips pressing into a sympathetic smile as she watched the sadness and disappointment once again glaze over Otis's eyes as he pocketed said ring.

"No, nothing there either... I guess she never reported it missing." Otis sighed again, this one much more deeper and breathier than the last as he shrunk further down into his seat.

Trudy and her promise of asking around the police department had been Otis's last, and at this point only, hope of somehow finding his mystery girl but now, after weeks of static, it turned out to be nothing more than another dead end. At this point he wouldn't even care if she had accused him of stealing her ring, at least then he'd get to see her again, but for her to not even have reported what appeared to be a rather expensive, and clearly valued, diamond ring missing, he wouldn't deny that it did spark just that little bit of annoyance deep within his aching chest.

"Hey..." Sylvie said softly, placing her hand atop Otis's arms which had him slowly lift his brooding face a little, at least, as much as he could manage given his mood. "...don't give up, okay? I know it sucks meeting one dead end after another but if it was meant to be then you'll find her."

"Yeah, right." Otis mumbled, a soft scoff leaving the back of his throat as he stood from his chair, abandoning the late lunch slash earlier dinner he'd made himself despite not being the least bit hungry. He shuffled out from behind the table, passing Cruz on his way to go and continue sulking in the little bit of privacy he got when laying on his bunk, where oftentimes his mind drifted to the incredible night which started this whole mess in the first place.

Part of Otis regretted that night. Regretted leaving the bar with his mystery woman as it had given him nothing but disappointment and misery lately, but for the most part he treasured it. He always would treasure it as if the time came when he knew he'd have to give up his quest completely then at least he had the memory of the brief time he'd gotten to spend with the woman he couldn't help but think was his soulmate.