02 || QUEST

Sitting hunched over at the kitchen island, where he'd been from the minute he'd arrived back at his apartment after the best night of his life, and with a steaming mug of coffee in his hand, Otis could only describe what he was trying to do with one word. Impossible.

Completely and utterly impossible.

How in the hell was he supposed to write out every single variation of what his mystery woman's phone number could be when there was hundreds of possible combinations as to the correct answer?

Sure, maybe if he'd only managed to stupidly smudge one number it would make his quest at finding her that much easier as then there'd only be ten numbers that it could be. But he hadn't, he'd smudged three of them and because of that, he found himself on the verge of giving up his ridiculous quest completely.

"Gah, it's no use." Otis groaned out in defeat, one hand running down his face as he threw the pen against the counter top with enough force that it ended up sliding across the granite and landed in the sink.

He looked down at the notebook and the vast amount of numbers he'd written on it, all of which reminded him of his stupidity that morning. What was he thinking jumping out of bed like that? God, he felt like such an idiot, ruining what could have potentially been something amazing.

With a breathy and fed up sigh, he pushed the notebook away from him with as much force as he'd done the pen, and in response the book slid off the counter and landed with a soft thud on the floor.

"Otis?" Cruz yawned as he appeared in the kitchen, his eyebrows furrowed a touch at his best friends brooding look as he stared absently down at where the notebook had once sat, his arms folded over his chest.

Stepping down into the kitchen, Cruz shuffled sleepily towards the discarded notebook, ignoring Otis's mumbled protests for him not to look at it. Crouching down Cruz picked up the book, his sleep ridden eyes scanned the page which was covered in scribbles of the same seven numbers, all of which had multiple variations as to its ending and all of which written in Otis's semi-messy handwriting.

"What are these... phone numbers? Are you trying to guess a phone number?" He asked in confusion as he turned the book to flash Otis the page that reminded him of his idiocy. The book soon left Cruz's grasp as Otis swiftly snatched it away, ripping the page out and crumpling it up in his hands.

"It's none of your business." Otis muttered, tossing the crumpled up paper, along with his hopes and dreams, into the bin before letting out another rather deep sigh. One that was so deep he could taste the alcohol still lingering at the back of his throat.

Otis's eyes quickly found that of his friends, and with the mix of confusion and concern in Cruz's he knew he should tell him what happened. He was his best friend after all, so if there was one person who might be able to help him with his impossible quest, it was him.

"I met this woman last night..." Otis began with a touch of hesitancy, watching the way Cruz's eyebrow slowly arched and the corners of his lips rose into what would soon become a proud smile.

"Dude, you got laid?" Cruz so bluntly asked, to which Otis couldn't help but smile widely over the memory of his pleasurable night, basically answering Cruz's question for him without even having to open his mouth. "Otis! My man! I didn't think you had it in you."

"Neither did I, but Cruz this woman..." Otis breathed out, practically going doe-eyed as he thought of her. Of her smile. Her eyes. Her body. "God this woman, I mean, she was amazing... She was beautiful and I mean, like supermodel beautiful. Seriously I've-"

"Hold up, are you sure you weren't dreaming?" Cruz interrupted with a question mixed with both seriousness and sarcasm as this did not sound like the type of woman who'd pick Otis to have a one night stand with. No offence to him.