06 || CANDIDATE

Getting to drive the firetruck was honestly the best thing that could have ever happened to Otis these past few weeks, after the night he met his dream girl of course, nothing would ever top that, not even driving eighty one after years of wishing he could.

All he ever wanted was to be able to show he was more than the elevator guy, more than the guy who was known as Otis, a nickname that came from the inventor of the first ever elevator, and one that didn't seem as though it was going to lift anytime soon. Honestly, he often forgot his real name wasn't Otis sometimes as he'd been called it so long.

But anyway, Otis didn't think he'd ever get to see the day where he could get behind the wheel and show the others what else, besides elevators, he was capable of, at least not while Cruz was still around and as much as Otis loved driving, he loved Cruz more and would never wish him harm just so he was able to take his spot in the driver's seat. But that didn't mean he wasn't feeling a little bit thrilled when Cruz ended up being punished for running a red light, but a different one to the one that caused the accident, that had been entirely Truck 66's fault, as it meant Otis would get to drive for a hell of a lot longer than he thought.

"Three months suspension from driving is like a death sentence." Cruz grumbled, leaning back against the front of the truck, the still old and past its prime truck that they'd gotten as a replacement for their own. "Who doesn't roll through a light?" He added in question, his hands held out to his sides.

"Hey, you were cleared of the wreck." Otis pointed out as he shut the driver's side door and came round to face his sulking friend. "Could have been worse. Huh?" He added, giving Cruz a gentle, reassuring punch on the arm.

"Yeah..." Cruz scoffed. "Says the guy who gets to drive while I'm in purgatory."

"I feel for you, man. Really, I do." Otis replied, unable to help but smile as a soft chuckle left his lips.

Sure, he did feel a little bad for Cruz but at the same time... He got to drive the truck! That's more than he could ever ask for at this point. Well that and for his mystery girl to simply walk up the firehouse apron and into his arms, but instead all he saw was Casey and Gabby heading towards them, so for now he'd take driving, as hey, at least it was something.

"Oh! What do we have here?" Otis called out as Casey and Gabby approached them, making Cruz get to his feet. "This a new candidate?"

"She's all yours, fellas." Casey said, motioning towards them before he walked away, leaving Gabby alone with her new truck companions.

"Hope you're ready to finally get your hands dirty." Cruz said humorously, folding his arms across his chest.

"Oh, absolutely. Just as soon as I drop..." Gabby began, raising the brown bag that was in her hand before Otis brushed her off.

"That can wait." He said with an underlying hint of excitement, cocking his head as motioned for Gabby to follow him towards the middle of the truck. "Could you do me a favour and grab a spanner wrench from compartment three, would you?" He tapped the side of the truck, turning to face Gabby who couldn't help but be suspicious.

"Uh, yeah, okay." She said sceptically, setting her bag aside before gripping the metal ring and pulling open the compartment with a hesitancy, which was completely justified as the second the door opened a rubber snake sprang from behind it, not even phasing Gabby who just seemed unamused and not at all surprised.

"Oh!" Otis exclaimed excitedly, a smile on his face which quickly dropped when all he got was frown from Gabby as she leaned against the door, not exactly the reaction he'd hoped for. He sighed, filling with disappointment that his prank had failed... He thought it was pretty good if he did say so himself. "Hey, come on, you were supposed to..."