12 | Muggle-borns

Start from the beginning

"My father told that it had. Hogwarts almost closed down."

"Really? When?"

"When was it... 1943?"

That was my green light.

1943, that's the year the book I was given had recorded and the year that Hagrid was expelled - it has to be connected.

"Where are you going?"

"To talk to Hagrid!"

I rushed to the exit and towards Hagrid's hut. Yes, I would be late for Defence Against Dark Arts, but this is far more important than listening to the ramblings of a man with nothing bright to say.

My fist beat the door until Hagrid opened it. "Who is it, who is it?" He looked down and gazed upon me. "Oh, Y/N! What do you need?"

"I need this to prove you innocent, was your reason for expulsion relating at all to the Chamber of Secrets?"

"Well... yeah, how'd you know?"

"Professor McGonagall talked about it in class, and the last it was talked about was the year you were expelled. How were you connected to the chamber?"

He sighed and invited me inside, pouring a cup of tea. "Well," he began as he gave me the cup, "I had a spider, a kind little thing. His name was Aragog."

"Cute name."

"As cute as he was! I had kept him secret, but this boy... Tom Riddle was his name, he accused Aragog of killing a girl. I kept trying to tell him that Aragog wouldn't kill no one, but he didn't listen."

I put my hand on my chin. "Tom Riddle... I see. He thought that Aragog was the monster that was mentioned in the legend; the one that only the Heir of Slytherin could control."

Hagrid shrugged. "I guess."

"Thanks for your insights, I'll get back to you." I jumped up and ran off into the building.

Now to learn some things about Salazar Slytherin.

•••

"So, this boo— What in Merlin's name are you doing?"

I flinched, pulling my face away from the book and shrugging. "Um... This book is old."

"And?"

"And old books have a certain smell." I displayed a sheepish grin and Cedric shook his head, smiling. "Okay then. Have you found anything while sniffing books?"

"Yes, actually. He wasn't friendly with animals. Not that Slytherins are known for it." I put down the third book I had borrowed and rubbed my temples.

For someone so famous, he didn't have a lot of information.

Cedric, who offered to help, pulled his chair over. "Here." He pointed at a paragraph. "It says that he could speak Parseltongue."

"Parseltongue?"

"Like, snake language."

"That could be how the creature inside the chamber could only be controlled by Slytherin! So, would that mean that the Heir of Slytherin would have to be able to speak Parseltongue as well?"

"Probably. And since no one in this school really speaks Parseltongue, that would mean that it's a really unique ability."

"Wel—" I paused. "Who are they?"

Cedric turned and an awkward smile appeared on his face. "Ah... hey."

"Hi Cedric," the group of girls greeted in unison. It was almost creepy.