0.0: Prologue

Seneca woke with the seagull's caw. He stretched, put clothes on, and tiptoed into his kitchen to prepare breakfast. Eggs and cheese, he thought sadly. He'd had the same thing for the last three days.

Twenty minutes later, he was ready for work, but heard a knock at his door. Angelica didn't bother waiting for him to open the door when she had a key. The woman who walked through his door was his best friend in life – his only friend in truth. She was short and stern looking, but not unpretty. She was carrying two bags that smelled like food, as though she knew he had just finished the last of his.

"Morning, Angelica."

She grunted in reply, unloading her groceries on his kitchen counter. "Do you want to help, or just sit there looking like an idiot?"

Seneca rose and placed the perishables in his cold cupboard. "What are you doing here?"

"Isn't it obvious? I got you food. Do you want it, or not?"

"I want it," Seneca admitted. "Thanks."

After they finished moving the goods in silence, Angelica sat on his couch and watched him. He pretended not to notice, but her eyes felt like coals on the back of his neck. "Are you still afraid to go outside?"

"I can't help that I prefer being indoors. I'm not afraid, I just don't like the people out there."

"What about me?"

"Of course I like you, but it's the rest of those bastards I hate."

Angelica sighed. "There were days I thought we could have been something more, you know?"

Seneca turned. "What are you talking about? We're fine just like this. You have your friends and I have this apartment. No need to complicate things any more than that, especially when I hate all those people you like."

"I would have given up all of them for you."

"Angelica, where is this comin' from? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I'm good. I just wish you could be there for me? Ever since since the war, you're the only one left who remembers the old days. I thought you would understand."

Of course I understand! He wanted to shout. Of course I feel the same way. Why the Hell do you think I don't want to leave this apartment? You think it's because I hate everybody? I want to be that person I was before. I want to go out and enjoy myself...I want to be with you...but the outside has the enemies. How can I face them again?

"Say something," Angelica whispered. "I know you're thinking right now. Just say what's on your mind."

His mouth opened but no words came out.

"That's what I thought..." Her brow untensed and she pinched her nose. "What happened to you out there? What did they do to break you?"

"I wish I knew," he whispered. I want to get better. I want stay with you and never have to go anywhere again. Why can't I say that?

Angelica stood and hugged him. "I'm hurtin' too, you know? It's like I have this empty pit in my gut and every time I think about our life before the war I'm fallin'...always fallin' but never hit the bottom. Like there's no end. Is that how you feel?"

Seneca could not answer. Instead he grabbed Angelica and pulled her tight into him.

"I want to find you," she whispered. "I want to pull you out of whatever pit you're in, and maybe if I can do that, you can help pull me out of mine. Do you think we could do that? Do you think we could make each other better, or is it too much even to hope for?"

Again, Seneca could not find his voice. Instead, he pulled away and kissed Angelica's forehead before touching his to hers.

"I think so too," Angelica said. Then she turned to leave.

"Where are you goin'?" he croaked, fighting back a tear.

"I'm goin' to work. I'm already late because I brought you that stuff. Don't let it go to waste. Aren't you late too? Your shift began at six."

Seneca glanced at the clock above his door. It was a quarter past. "They can manage without me."

"Come on, Seneca. You have to work and get out there. You can't stay hidden here all day long."

"Why not? There's nothing for me out there anywhere." Not even you.

Angelica frowned. "Go," she said, her tone leaving no room for negotiation. "I won't leave until I see you down to the shipyard, and if you cost me my job I will kill you."

"Fine." Seneca sulked to his room, grabbed his keys, then walked out with Angelica. They were at the docks in ten minutes. Too soon.

"Will I see you tonight?" Seneca asked.

Angelica smiled from the side of her mouth. "Do you want to?"

Seneca shrugged. "There could be worse things."

"I will be at your place at seven. Do you think you can last that long without me?"

"I'll manage somehow. Might have to stop by your shop on my lunch break, though."

"I'm not sure they would let a ruffian in my fine establishment. You might cause all sorts of trouble."

"I wouldn't do that!" Seneca guffawed. "You know I would sooner die than be a burden to you."

"Don't say that. Don't ever say that." Her voice quivered and Seneca knew his joke had hurt her.

"I'm sorry. I'm not going to die. I swear it, Angelica. I'm going to be here for you from now on, like I wasn't before. This is an impossible time...we have to help each other, or we're lost. I'll be a rock to support you."

"Thank you," she said, wiping a tear from her eye. "Now don't do anything stupid today. If you get sent home early or if you start a fight, I'll be cross."

"Gods know I don't want to make you cross."

They embraced and went their separate ways. Seneca couldn't wait to return home, but for the first time in months, he wasn't running away from the city. He was racing toward Angelica.