Tale 8: Two New Kids

Connor stole glances at one of the new kids from his bed where he was pretending to read some book he'd loaned from Katherine, despite being from the 1900s she actually had good book suggestions. They had arrived last week and obviously joined the ranks of the Hermes cabin. Since it was during the school year, half the cabin population was gone meaning they actually got beds instead of being banished to the floor. That would change when summer came though, the two beds they were using belonged to Jazzime and Harria. Jazzime was his sister and Harria was unclaimed, but they'd been here for years so they had dibs on getting those beds back once everyone arrived for summer session.

He'd heard his sister Harley telling them that they'd probably be claimed before then if they were lucky, the same speech she gave everyone despite the fact some kids never got claimed at all. Take Harria for example, she'd been here since she was eight, she was twelve now and her godly parent had yet to send a sign.

The older one, Alabaster had snorted and told her not to bother- apparently he already knew who their mother was and it wasn't one of the main twelve Olympians. Since there weren't any cabins for minor gods and goddesses, that meant they were stuck in the Hermes cabin for however long their stay at camp was.

"Is my face really that interesting," a voice dragged him out of his thoughts. Connor blushed as he noticed the girls piercing green eyes, the same startling shade as her brothers, staring straight at him. He hadn't even noticed he'd been staring at her until she had pointed it out.

"Sorry," he said bashfully, "I-"

The girl, whom he remembered was called Lou Ellen, snorted, "don't bother. I know how it is, I've heard all the whispers. 'Why do kids of minor gods bother to stay at camp, they'll be fine in the real world' they all say," her voice took on a bitter tone as she continued to speak and all Connor could do was gape at her.

"No!" He instantly and vehemently denied, catching Lou Ellen slightly off guard, "that's not why! I'm just curious is all. You seem cool, we just haven't talked at all so I know nothing about you."

"Oh," she said, her green eyes blown wide with surprise, "I guess I'm sorry for assuming then," she admitted with a blush on her face.

"Are people saying that to you?" He said, taken aback, "don't listen to them, there's a place at camp for any demigod, no matter who their godly parent is!"

"Then why doesn't my mother have a cabin," Lou Ellen said miserably, "why are me and my brother stuck in the Hermes cabin."

Connor winced, she had him there. He didn't really know why they just didn't make more cabins, it would certainly free up some much needed room in the Hermes cabin after all. But he wasn't in charge, so it didn't matter what he thought.

"Well, I think there should be," he told her, "if that makes you feel better at all."

She smiled slightly at him, "actually, yeah it does. I'm glad to see not everyone at this camp are complete assholes."

Connor frowned, still bothered by what Lou Ellen had told him, "do people at camp actually say that kind of stuff to you?"

Lou Ellen got an annoyed look on her face, "not everyone, but a couple people have implied it or said it behind my back. I heard Luisa from Demeter cabin saying 'monsters don't care about the kids of minor gods' and I heard Harry say 'her and her brother are just taking up precious space in our cabin'."

He was aghast that his own brother would say something so cruel, "Harry should know better! You're not taking up space Lou- can I call you Lou?"

She nodded her head, so he continued, "you're not just taking up space, you deserve to be here just as much as anyone else."

"Thanks Connor," she said softly, "you're the first person to say something like that to me. Me and Al have felt like outsiders since we got here, honestly I doubt my brother would even still be here if it wasn't for me."

"What do you mean?" He couldn't help but ask.

"Al has been doing fine on his own for years, he's a mercenary of sorts. He uses his magic to complete jobs for money, and he's been thriving. But me," she said, a guilty look on her face, "I've always been a lot stronger than any normal child of Hecate- my mother. Monsters started coming for me young, so my mother guided me to my half-brother cause she knew he could protect me."

During her story, Connor stayed perfectly silent, taking in all the new information she was giving him. This was the first time either Lou or her brother had mentioned which minor god was their parent. He also felt a new anger rising in him as she talked about being hunted from a young age, something he was familiar with. Two children of Hermes in the same place attracted monsters much quicker than a single child, it was why he and Travis had come to camp so young. Screw everyone writing off what Lou had gone through just because her mother wasn't one of the main Olympians.

Lou nervously ran her hands through her long black hair as she continued talking, "Al was always mothers pride and joy, her bravest and most devoted child. But even he struggled to keep us safe, more and more monsters started coming for us. He refused to leave me though, and mother soon showed us the way to camp. It was the only way we would both survive."

By the end of her speech, Connor could see tears forming in her eyes, "I told him he could leave now that I was safe, but he refuses to abandon me. I know he hates it here, I can't help but think it's all my fault."

Connor felt horrible, even if he wasn't the one to make Lou and her brother feel unwelcome. He hopped down from his own bed to sit next to her, "Don't say stuff like that Lou! I'm sure your brother doesn't blame you."

"It doesn't matter if he blames me or not. It's still my fault he's here in the end and not out there living his life," she sniffled, "and why he has to put up with all the whispers around camp about how he doesn't belong here."

Once again Connor felt a growing sense of anger at his fellow campers. Especially at Harry, his own brother, for making them feel so unwelcome.

There was only one thing to do, Connor stood up with a determined expression, "I can't make people at camp change their opinions, but I can get some revenge."

He offered her a hand, "let's go make Harry, and Luisa, and any other camper that's said something bad about you regret it," he smirked, already planning pranks that he knew would piss them off the most.

Lou looked absolutely bewildered for a moment before a giggle found its way out of her lips and she took his hand, "well I certainly wouldn't be against it."

Connor cheered, that's what he wanted to hear. Lou may not be a Hermes kid, but she was a resident of cabin eleven, and in his mind that made her a sister. And no one messed with his sister, even if that meant getting payback on one of his brothers.