Chapter forty

I didn't have to be in the water for long. He entered immediately after me, his hands going around my waist and pulling me against him.

"You look fucking good in this. Are you trying to drive me crazy?"

I smiled. That was my mission. I turned slowly in his arms and captured his lips in a deep kiss. He pushed my thighs apart and kissed me deeply. He fingers travelled down my stomach and between my thighs.

We heard a loud scream and he pulled away from me. Naomi was running towards the water. He left me in the water and moved to lift Naomi in his arms. I spotted Marisol running towards us but stopped when she saw Naomi in Brayan's arms.

I left the water and grabbed a towel hanging from a foldable chair and wrapped it around my wet body.

"I'm so sorry Paisley. I tried to stop her"

"It's fine" I said calmly but I was anything but calm.

I heard a giggle and I looked up. Naomi had her arms around Brayan's neck and when our eyes met, she gave me a smug grin.

I scoffed and walked away with Marisol. The rest of the family were at the table and were eating already. Brayan sat down beside me but Naomi pushed herself into the small space and I had to shift a bit so she could fit into the tiny space.

I ate silently while I partially listened to the conversation around me.

Winry nudged me. "Are you okay?"

"Yes" I nodded. She didn't look convinced but she went back to her food.

"Are you okay love" Brayan asked after a while and I nodded with a forced smile.

I was okay but somehow, it felt like I was dragging for his attention with a child.

The meal continued and nobody asked me anything again. After we finished, the others were just laying under the sun. It was well into the afternoon now and the sun was as hot. I found a comfortable spot with some shade and lay down. I didn't know when I slept off.

A gentle nudge woke me up. It was Brayan.

"It's time to go"

"Already?" I thought we were staying until the evening.

"Yeah. It's evening already. You slept for a long while and the others have started going home"

It was evening already? He helped me up and we folded the small mat.

I was still a bit slow because I just woke up.

"I'll get the other things in the car"

"I'm right behind you" he nodded and moved forward. Just when I was about to leave the beach area, I heard a a sound. I looked back and I didn't see anyone. I was about to move again when I heard another sound. I noticed someone was struggling in the water.

I dropped the small bag I was holding and hurried towards the water. Whoever it was, was drowning and I had to save them. I jumped into the water, swimming in the direction of the person.

When I got to her, I wrapped my arms tightly around her waist. It was a small child. Naomi? Or did any other child come to the beach?

I swam with her towards the shore. "Fucking hell" I heard and Brayan collected her from me. He lay her carefully on the sand and pressed on her chest. She coughed violently and water poured from her mouth.

"Are you okay?" I asked her and she nodded.

I thought she left with the others. How come she was in the water. Wordlessly, he lifted her into his arms and carried her to the car. I wrapped a blanket around her and I was about to move when she held my arms tightly with her small fingers.

I looked at her surprised. "Please stay" she whispered. This was surprising and suspicious as hell but I agreed. Considering what she just went through now, she needed the comfort.

I got into the back with her and she cuddled my left arm. I moved my hand and wrapped it around her. When we got back home, he carried her out and into the house.

Elowen rushed towards us the moment we entered.

"I tried calling you. We didn't see Naomi anywhere. I thought she went with the girls but when we got back and I didn't see her, I got scared"

"She was almost drowning" I said.

"How the fuck did that even happen"

"Let me lay her down on the couch" Brayan set her gently on the couch and the others surrounded her.

"Tell me child, what happened?"

"I was trying the get the sea shells back but the waves swept me"

"You shouldn't have gone into the water by yourself Naomi" Elowen sounded upset.

"You know you cannot swim. You should have asked me or anyone" Dakarai placed his hands on her shoulder to calm her but she didn't stop. She was really furious.

"No. Did you know how scared I was when I didn't see her? I thought if the worse things. What if she wasn't found on time? Something bad could have happened"

"I'm sorry" Naomi cried.

"Thankfully nothing happened to her" Dakarai said still in a calm voice.

"I'm sorry for upsetting you" Naomi had tears in her eyes.

"You didn't upset me love. I was just worried" she rubbed circles on her palm.

I could understand Elowen. Her worry made her act like she was upset and it was totally understandable.

"I'll take her to her room" Brayan carried her up again. I watched them as they leave the living room.

"Thank you" Naomi said with a smile and sincere look in her eyes.

"You're welcome" I returned her smile and Brayan carried her away.

"Drama queen" Winry muttered and I looked at her.

"What? You don't realize that she always wants Brayan's attention on her?"

I knew that but I didn't think she'll try to drown herself for his attention.

Think again. She did hurt herself just to blame Glynnis. And she blamed you too.

I cleared those thoughts from my head.

"She ran away from Marisol's hold the moment she realized you two were going to be alone and not to mention how she sneaked herself between you two at the table"

I stayed silent.

"I hate that I'm the only one that sees it. She has an unhealthy obsession with Brayan and they are all too blind to see it" Winry huffed and moved away.

I moved to our bedroom but her words put me deep into thought.

Did Naomi really try to drown herself just for Brayan's attention?