Chapter Eight

I woke up early today and it didn't take me long to get ready. I had about thirty minutes before work officially started.

I knocked on the Nevaeh's door but she didn't respond.

"Nevaeh"

"Coming" she shouted from inside. Her voice sounded much better so I felt at ease.

She opened the door and I entered.

"You didn't open yesterday" I said in an accusing voice.

"I'm sorry Paisley. I just... we have only four days until they come for me"

"Stop talking about leaving Nevaeh. I'm going to see Silas today"

"Promise me Paisley. That you'll get me out of this"

"I promise Nevaeh" I squeezed her hands. My phone rang and I reached into my bag.

"Patricia. I'm awake and already on my way"

"There's no need for that" I frowned.

"Why? Did I get fired"

"No. The boss asked us not to come in today"

"What? Are you serious?"

"Yes. He said we should consider it an off day"

"I can't believe it"

"What's that?" Nevaeh asked.

"The boss gave us an off day" her eyes widened.

"I'll talk to you later Paisley. I have to go" Patricia hung up.

"Did he really give you an off day?" I nodded.

"I can't believe it. But why did he suddenly give an off day"

"You should enjoy it. Get some rest. You have bags under your eyes"

"Yeah. I should I just have something to do. Also, Kamiko told me a new diner is opening today. She wants us to check it out"

"Thats good. At least we don't have to go to the pink place all the time. I hate that place" I chuckled.

Most people didn't like the pink place. I went there because Edel wanted us to and there was no other good restaurant around. If this place turned out to be good, Rhea was going to lose a lot of customers.

"I'm going back to my room" I told Nevaeh and returned to my room to remove my clothes.

After I had changed into something simpler, I set out to find Silas. The house was empty again. I've not seen Coulter around and I made a mental note to call him.

Silas was outside his home when I came. "Good morning Paisley" he said stiffly.

"Good morning Silas. I'm here to see you"

"I know. Harriet told me. Want to come inside?" I nodded and followed him inside.

He opened his office blinds and sat behind his desk.

"Harriet told me you were here yesterday and you mentioned you wanted to see me about the choosing?"

"Yes. My sister cannot go to the beasts" I said in a firm voice.

"You want to go in her place?" He arched a brow.

"Of course not. I don't want any of us to go"

"That's impossible Paisley. Your family has been chosen"

"You did the choosing Silas. You can change it"

"You want me to replace your family with another family" I stayed silent and he scoffed.