27. An Eclair in Paris

Leno

I was expecting loud sounds and overwhelming sensations as I opened the door. But it was stupid because Ikshan told me this street on L'Ile Saint-Louis was a quiet one. And as I take my first step outside, I only see buildings, resembling Elise's home. There is no one in the streets and the sky is blue.

I turn my head towards Ikshan and, as I see they are holding their breath, I realize I'm doing the same. I take another step and I smile at Ikshan. They smile too and we can breathe again.

"Which direction do you think we should go?" I ask.

"This way. There is a wonderful pastry shop not far from here and then I'll show you the river banks."

There are always sparkles in Ikshan's eyes but today there are even more. They hold out their hand and I take it without even thinking.

They squeeze my hand and I smile. We walk slowly until another street, a little bit bigger, with some passersby this time. For a minute, I wonder if they are going to look at me, to understand I'm out of place. But nobody seems to care.

They walk fast, with a resolute step, except for one person who is definitely not from here and who looks up at the building while the other passersby double him with an annoyed look on their face. There is more noise now, coming from the adjacent streets.

Ikshan squeezes my hand again and switches place with me on the sidewalk so that they are now on the outside and me on the inside. When a loud sound resonates and a car passes us by, I understand why. I freeze, more surprised than scared.

"This was a car. I told you about them. Are you okay?" They look at me worried.

"Yes," I laugh. "That's incredible."

"Well, I don't know if incredible is the right word to describe the experience of cars in Paris, but I'm glad you enjoyed that!"

"I want to see more."

Ikshan's face lights up. "This way!"

A few buildings later, Ikshan leads me to a shop. "Tadaah," they say, while I contemplate the colorful displays of cakes in the window. I have not the slightest idea of how any of these taste but I would not say no to test them all. We enter and the saleswoman welcomes us with a warm smile. "Bonjour!" she says.

"Bonjour," we answer. Ikshan teaches me English but he told me a few words of French.

"I'll let you choose," I say in English.

Ikshan's face lights up again. "Oh my. What a responsibility! So many things you could love. Okay, we are in Paris, you need to try an eclair. Maybe we'll have two, chocolate and coffee, and we'll share for you to try both."

I tried chocolate and coffee before - Ikshan argued there were food basics - and I found both delicious, so I cannot wait to try these pastries. The saleswoman puts our order in a beautiful little box with a blue bow on it and gives it to Ikshan who pays with the small plastic card they told me about. I have to say that I don't understand how this works at all but for now, I don't care.

"And now, we'll seat on the river banks." Ikshan smiles softly. "But beware, there are going to be far more cars and far more people. Are you ready?"

I nod. "I am."

"