6. Back at the Library

So, you see the scenes in slow motion in cop shows, where the female hero runs in a long shot sequence and adequately avoids all obstacles to the exit without sweat and in high heels with perfect hair and makeup? Well, that was not it. At all.

I did make it to the exit because I'm fast and capable. But at the same time, the space was very narrow and the huge monster behind me managed to grab Ikshan's arm at the last second. So I pulled them while closing the door and I lost my balance and I fell down the stairs on Ikshan and stood up with my hair glued by sweat on my forehead. And I was in sneakers and sweatpants. But we did get out alive. Yay us!

"So thank you. That was something," Ikshan says, back at the library.

This week is really not my week. But at least, the monster didn't follow us. And we didn't hear any sound in the staircases when we ran out of the building. So maybe it's still in my apartment.

What the hell? The situation is so absurd. I don't understand a thing. I can't help but imagine the monster waiting for my return, pacing my living room, finishing my spare cup of coffee and cursing me for my inability to take care of my plants.

Or it just vanished again. Yeah, it's more likely.

At least now, Ikshan saw it. So maybe we'll have more information to work with.

"I have no idea what this creature is," Ikshan says after a pause.

Okay, forget about what I just said. We don't know squat.

Ikshan and I look at each other, spread onto the armchairs in one of the rooms of the library.

"So this is not a portal thing," I ask.

"Nope."

"Is the creature imprisoned in the piece of metal?"

"Maybe. I'll have to do some research."

"For that, we would need said piece of metal. And it is on the floor, in my, I suppose, now completely destroyed apartment. Okay, I didn't really care about the decoration before, but I'm not sure I'll be comfortable with the post-apocalyptic vibe. A girl needs her couch and coffee table in one piece."

"Well, speaking of, we didn't approach the subject of the damages in here yet," Ikshan says with sad eyes.

I blush and look away. "Yeah... Sorry for that."

"We'll think about that later. There are other priorities now."

I nod still avoiding their gaze.

They continue. "We can't bring back the object, as the monster is obviously connected to it. So we could go back to your place and just take a picture of it, really quickly, to be able to study the inscription."

I laugh. "I can't wait to witness that scene. It's going to be slapstick comedy at its finest, well, at least, if I'm doing it. And if I survive. Cause it also could be an absurd death scene."

"I'm going to do it. Don't worry."

"Well, you're stronger, but are you faster than I am?"

Ikshan shakes their head pensively. "I'm fast for my size. You've never seen me fight. I'm quite capable, Zoé."

"No doubt. No doubt at all."

"Okay, that's a plan then."

"Maybe we can bring some weapons. I got fond of the sword I found last time. I'm keeping it. Do you want the nunchaku?"

Ikshan rolls their eyes.