17. Flight 816 to Paris - Charles de Gaulle Airport

Ikshan

I smile at Zoé as she finishes her second glass of vodka, while everyone is preparing for take-off. Alcohol still has an effect on her, as is the case for young immortals, and she clearly intends to make the best of it.

Mesdames et messieurs, bienvenue sur ce vol à destination de Paris - Aéroport Charles de Gaulle. Nous allons décoller dans quelques minutes. L'atterrissage à Paris est prévu à l'heure, à 15h27 heure locale.

"Don't worry, it's going to be fine," I say.

"Yeah, sure. Flying is such a natural capacity for humans."

Le temps à Paris est plutôt nuageux, avec une température de 11°.

I wrap my arm around her shoulders to try to reassure her but she shrugs me away.

She then replies to my sheepish expression with a softer tone. "I'm going to be fine, it's just... I don't know. I'll never get used to it. It was the stupidest invention: Hey! Let's cram people into a tin can a million kilometers away in the air and see what happens."

"Mostly what happens is that people can reach their destination quickly."

Her face closes, and she shoots daggers at me.

Je vous laisse maintenant avec le personnel de cabine et je vous souhaite un agréable vol en notre compagnie.

I hesitate about what to do or say next, and I choose to change the subject. "It's going to be worth it. Aren't you excited? We'll go to The Pearl. I'm going to introduce you to Elise and the gang. It's going to be fun! And she told me she knew a very powerful magician, so we should meet her too."

"I'm risking my life for the sake of your shady future boyfriend here, and you try to buy me off with a party in a nightclub? Okay, a really great party, with really amazing people, but still."

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to this flight to Paris - Charles de Gaulle Airport. We should leave in a few minutes now. Landing is expected on time at 3.27 PM local time.

"I'll invite you to do a tour of the best bakeries in Paris?" I try.

She can't help a smile.

"And then to reach our destination in the South, we'll take the train this time," I add with both thumbs up. "Yay."

The weather in Paris is rather cloudy, with a temperature of 11°.

She sighs and starts to mumble. "Well, thank you for your consideration. It's sweet of you. I was rather waiting for the story of the time when you witnessed the first commercial flight ever or something." She rolls her eyes.

"Actually, have I told you about the time when I was a test pilot? It was an amazing experience. The thrill of feeling every piece of the machine surrounding you, but also the sense of space and of freedom. I will never forget it," I say while Zoé turns her head, drinks another glass, and puts her headphones on.

I leave you with the cabin crew now and I wish you a very pleasant flight.

But when the plane starts to take off, she slides her hand in mine. I squeeze it and smile.

 I squeeze it and smile