What If

The classic, what if a character arrived too late?
What if Ballister and Nimona arrived at the director's office after Ambrosius?

"I'm sorry Ambrosius."
"What-?"
Ambrosius didn't have time to react before he felt a sharp burning pain in his stomach.
Ambrosius stumbled back as the pain kept burning from the inside out. He fell onto the floor as he ached in burning pain.
"So yes I framed Ballister."
"I killed the queen."
Ambrosius felt a warm liquid pooling beneath him as he tripped to stand back up.
He looked down at his red covered hands.
"Gloreth did whatever it took to keep the monsters out."
"And so will I."
Ambrosius gathered himself as he used the kingdom's model to prop himself up.
"The only monster in this kingdom is you." Ambrosius groaned out.
Ambrosius saw how clearly offended the director was.
"How dare you." The director's staff opened up and started to glow green.
Ambrosius's eyes widened.
"Just like Bal's sword..." he mumbled to himself.
Before he could get away from the blast, he was shot back into the glass doors. The glass doors shattered upon impact, shard piercing and cutting Ambrosius's face.
"Agh..." Ambrosius landed on his side as his back hit the balcony bars hard.
Ambrosius could feel the sword twisting upon impact.
"Augh..!" Ambrosius still tried to stand up even though he knew he couldn't win.
Ambrosius propped himself up using the balcony bars this time.
His blood spilled more quickly now. His eyelids felt heavy as he started to lose consciousness.
"Ambrosius!" He heard a distant scream. Before he knew it, the pink gorilla was back.
The pink shapeshifter started to jump at the director, getting her as far away from the blond as possible.
"Ambrosius...!" Was the last thing he heard before falling forward into somebody's metal arm.

Ambrosius slowly opened his eyes upon the constant beeping.
He blinked a couple of times before finally sitting up.
"Augh." Ambrosius bit back a groan of pain.
He looked around the room. He was in the hospital.
He tried to remember what happened before the hospital.

Bal's sword piercing right through him.

He lifted up his shirt to see plenty of bandages wrapped around his torso.
He continued thinking back.

Bashed through the shattered glass doors.

He felt his face littered with cuts and bandaids.
He thought back one last time.

He fell into someone's arms.

"Ambrosius!"

Bal.

Ambrosius slid out of bed, avoiding as much pain as he could.
He slowly limped out of the room.
He slid open the doors and looked around.
He saw Bal and his sidekick talking to a doctor. But he's not getting arrested?
Nimona was the first to notice Ambrosius looking at them.
"Hey, boss. Blondie's awake." Nimona poked Ballister.
"Hm?" Ballister looked down at Nimona then looked at where she was pointing.
"Bal?" Ambrosius squinted. He tried to take a step forward but felt his legs give up. He started to fall forward before Ballister held him up.
"Ambrosius!" Ballister quickly rushed over and wrapped Ambrosius's arm around his neck.
"Why are you out of bed?"
"Bal...? How are you...how long was I out for...?" Ambrosius sighed.
"15 years." The pink girl told him.
"What!?" Ambrosius shouted.
"Nimona!" Ballister scolds the girl.
"How are you here...?" Ambrosius asked as he slowly made his way back to the room.
"We found footage of the directors confessing so we decided to release the footage," Ballister informed Ambrosius.
"So how long was I out?" Ambrosius sat on the edge of the bed.
"A couple of days." Ballister stared downward toward Ambrosius.
Ambrosius stood up and draped himself over Ballister. His head on their shoulder.
Ballister took a small step back in surprise.
"I'm so sorry," Ambrosius confessed.
Ballister paused.
"I'm so sorry Ballister. I never wanted all of this to happen." Ambrosius kept his face down.
Ballister wrapped his arms around Ambrosius.
"You don't need to be." Ballister hugged.
"Get some rest Golden Boy." Ballister pulled Ambrosius off him and sat him down on the bed.
Ballister walked out of the room to go back to the doctor.
Ambrosius lied back down in hopes of getting some kind of relaxing rest.

His dreams were anytime but dreams. Nor were they exactly like nightmares. Just his most painful memories.

"I'm sorry Ambrosius." The burning following after.

"Because I love you." The heartbreak he felt.

"Arrest them."  Regretful words spill from his mouth.

"Agh..!" The sword shatters as it hit the ground. Along with Bal's arm...

"You've ruined everyone's life." His own voice echoed in this fake reality.

"Including your own." The echoing voice shouted.

Ambrosius shot up.
His breathing was heavy. Constant pants leaving his mouth.
He saw Ballister's metal arm reaching toward him in an attempt to grab him.
As Ambrosius jumped back away from the hand but then he got a good look at Ballister.

Ballister's asleep. With Nimona next to him. Both of them nowhere near him. No way Ballister could've reached him so close.

He imagined it. He imagined Bal's arm.

Good Gloreth...what was happening to him...? He's going crazy...

Ambrosius felt something bubbling up his throat. He held his throat tight. Almost as if he was trying to cut off the oxygen.
He jumped out of bed earning stings of pain when he bent down.
He hurried over to the bathroom knocking over things in the process as his vision got worse and worse. Glass bottles, and a plastic dish all landed on the floor echoing a loud noise for the whole building to hear.
The fragile glass shattered as it hit the floor.
Ambrosius tasted blood flowing in his mouth. He fell onto the floor as his legs gave up once more.
Ambrosius leaned over to the toilet as he felt more and more blood pooling in his mouth.
"Ambrosius?" He ignored the faint voice of Ballister. It was just another imaginary voice anyway.

Right?

He threw up all the blood. Staining the water red.
He sighed as he felt the blood leave his mouth and throat.
He leaned against the bathtub wall.
He was tired.
"Ambrosius!?" The voice shouted as something aggressively knocked on the door.
"Ambrosius!? Are you all right!?"
Ballister...?
Was it actually him?
"Ambrosius!?"
Ballister gave up asking and opened up the door without the permission he wanted.
"Ambrosius!" Ballister opened the door to see bits of shattered glass everywhere.
Blood over Ambrosius's mouth.
Blood in the water.
And Ambrosius leaning against the bathtub wall, just ready to give up.

"Ambrosius!" Ballister shoved the pieces of glass out of the way and pulled Ambrosius onto his feet.
"Ballister...?" Ambrosius asked out.
"Ambrosius! Finally!"
"I'll get you some help!" Ballister stressed out.
"I'm fine Bal..."
"See..?" He pushed away from Bal hazily.
"Ambrosius, you need help. Something's wrong." Ballister tried to convince the blood loss drunk.
"I'm...fine..." Ambrosius fell into Ballister's arms once again.
"Ambrosius...!"
Ambrosius felt more painful stings coming from his stomach.
He reached down to touch his bandages wrapped around his waist wondering if something was wrong.
When his hand came back up, it was almost soaked in blood.
"Ambrosius...! I'm getting you some help!" Was the last thing he heard before sinking into darkness.

Ambrosius opened his eyes once again. Still no light coming from the window.
He tried to sit up.
"Ambrosius..!"
"Blondie, stop struggling," Nimona warned him.
"Docter said that your stitches broke, both the skin and the stomach." Ballister helped him sit upright properly.
Ambrosius sighed as he took a deep breath.
"You okay?" Ballister asked.
"Yes, perfect." Ambrosius smiled.
Ballister spent years with Ambrosius, he knew when Ambrosius was faking.
Ballister took off his shoes and plopped onto the hospital bed with Ambrosius.
"Go to sleep." Ballister covered Ambrosius's eyes as a head start.
Soon enough they both felt a heavy pressure jump onto them.
It was Nimona.
Sitting on them as a cat ball.
Ballister cuddled closer to Ambrosius still covering his eyes.

After a few minutes, he made sure Ambrosius was fully asleep.
He checked on Nimona as well.
Both were asleep, which meant he could finally relax and sleep as well.