Arc 2 - Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

Rem: "No, I haven't. What is it?"

Subaru: "Basically, every choice you make creates a new timeline, like branches on a tree. Even the slightest change is on a different line. Every choice ever made and all of its consequences exist all at the same time."

Rem: "I believe I understand, but what does this have to do with our previous topic?"

Subaru: "What I'm trying to say is that there's no point in fixating on the actions of a different Rem."

With those words, Subaru then left Rem to ponder as he went to start on the chores Ram had given him.

△▼△▼△▼△

Ram: "Did Barusu say anything when you caught up to him?"

Ram was still in the wardrobe when her sister returned.

Rem: "Subaru-kun didn't deny something happened. However, he wouldn't say what happened. He just said it was better to not think about it."

Ram: "That is troubling."

Ram could see that he was hiding his true feelings about the sisters, specifically Rem. However, she knew that forcing a conversation about this matter would not bear fruit. He was polite to them, but it felt forced. His outburst at Rem earlier showcased that.

Rem: "He did tell me about something called the parallel worlds theory."

She then told her Nee-sama everything Subaru had told her.

Ram: "While I do understand where Barusu's coming from, it doesn't put me at ease."

Rather it did the opposite. If Subaru did have something against the sisters due to a previous loop, it could cause problems down the road. Even after all that, everything hinged on whether or not he was telling the truth about his abilities.

Rem: "I'm still concerned about whether or not he is telling the truth."

There were still many doubts in the minds of the sisters, especially Rem. How could they not be wary when he was covered in the Scent of the Witch? It was possible he had hired assassins and helped take them down to gain everyone's trust. As well as spying on the manor to gain information on the staff to trick them into believing he had gotten to know them through time travel. However...

Ram: "Roswaal-sama has asked us to wait and observe, so that is what we will do."

His story was so convenient, it explained a lot about why he knew certain things, but it was also outlandish. If he was so innocent, why the Witch's scent? For the time being, they could do nothing. If Roswaal chose to believe him, then they had no choice.

Rem: "Understood Nee-sama, I still have some chores to tend to in another part of the manor, if you run into any trouble, please call for me."

And with that, the maid sisters, along with Subaru, did their chores for the day.

△▼△▼△▼△

Subaru: "Why can't I follow my own advice?"

While doing his chores Subaru was lamenting the fact he couldn't keep a cool head around Rem. When he snapped at her, he had just given them more reasons not to like him and not trust him. If they didn't trust him, things could go very wrong. Even after killing the Shaman, there could still be problems he would face when it came to the sisters.

Subaru: "This isn't the same Rem, as the one from that loop. I just can't believe all of it was a lie. That day, when she smiled on the way back from the village, she seemed genuinely happy. I have to believe she's better than that."