EIGHT

ATHENA AND TRITON ?

It won't be really bad at all if there was a little romance going on between the god Triton and the goddess Athena. Two gods bonding together. 

"Aubree!!" Mrs Audu called me back to the reality of our one hour class of criticism and reviews.

"Yes, ma'am." I said looking up at her. She took a noiseless sip from the recyclable mug she always carried to class. I wondered what was in the cup: water, water brewed tea, coffee, milk, iced tea or juice....whatt?

"I would be pairing you with my favourite student, Triton. You guys are my best students so I'll be hoping to see a very productive work. Triton is so  good with his words and Aubree is also good with her criticism infact you guys would make a power couple!" She said.

Power couple? I could tell that slipped out wrongly. She gave out a weird laughter to cover up for what she said which was really weird. I felt a huge lump in my throat as my eyes met with his.

It hadn't been long we had a heated argument about the fact that Maya Angelou was writing a message of protest against the inequality between the black and white during time of segregation in America.

He was too good with his points.

"You and your assigned partners are expected to research, discuss and make a comprehensive presentation about the poem in our next class that is on next week Friday morning. Meanwhile, I would have to leave before my time is up, my mother-in-law is making me a heartwarming lunch. She's hoping I give birth to a grandson this time around." She said picking up her cup and the plastic bag she came along with.

I don't know why she chipped that in but she looked wearied of everything going on in her life concerning the little one growing in her.

"Aubree! She just set me up with Tunde." Alisha grunted kicking her feet in the air.

"Who's Tunde? The dark talkative of a guy that's mummy's boy?" I asked in a whisper. Tunde was a very notorious loquacious boy that everyone tried to avoid because he never knew when to stop talking.

"Yes. He's so annoying unknowingly. And he chews noisily and the worst is that Bukola told me he has a strong crush on me."

"So you have a problem with what exactly? He chews noisily? You are talking like you going on a dinner date with him.And a strong crush? Is there anything bad about that? And since when did you believe what Bukola says."

"I hate when I know that someone actually has a crush on me. It makes me nervous and acting all weird and everything." She said.

I could relate too. I hated knowing who had a crush on me cause I act all weird around the person.

"What could be worse than that. I just don't..." I said watching Alisha panic when I felt a slight tap on my shoulder.

It was Triton. I knew he wanted to talk about our teamwork blah blah.

"We have to go for the students's council meeting. It's 1:25pm." He said casually like we had always been talking mates or friends. His hands in his pockets.

"Who's..." I say when Alisha cut in.

...we?

"Hey, Triton. Aubree was about going to the meeting. You guys can go together since you are going there." She said giving me a C'MON look. Her smile was so weird too.

I sighed picking up my books bag and following Triton who had girls ogling him as he walked. I could literally hear their soft sighs and coos. So pathetic.

We walked slowly to the auditorium though it was 1:30 already. A deafening silence. My eyes on my shoes just as we walked.

A huge distance between us. His hands fidgeting in his pockets.

"You are not much of a talker outside but you were really good in there. It was like you were some kind of..."

"Goddess of knowledge? I know." I murmured.

"Huh? What did you say?" He asked turning.

"You were invited by the students council too?" I asked.

"Umm...yes. I think they have invited us concerning handing over or something like that or probably they need help in the social events. We have a lot of social events this year..."

"Maybe." I shrugged wondering if I took my pill this morning which I didn't. I was too busy helping my mother clean up. She looked extremely weak and helpless this morning.

"Thank you for everything." was the only words she said to me in the morning when I brought her a brimming cup of hot cocoa in bed and pulled off her flats off her feet. She had come back from work last night and laid down on her bed without pulling anything off.

I wondered if she went to work today. She was lost in a telenovela she was watching when I left in the morning. She barely nodded when I told her I was leaving for school.

"Aubree." He called my name softly. I loved the way he said my name like it was so... I couldn't describe how I felt. It was pretty hard talking about how my heartbeat went wild when he called my name.

C'mon, Aubree. This isn't Telenovela shit where heartbeat go wild when a guy calls your name.

"Yess." I stopped walking and looked up at him.

He drew closer to me. With his hands on my chin, he slightly raised my face to face his. I was so lost in those pair of beautiful eyes. Those eyes that were really bubbly. It felt as though I was staring at some kind of fictional character with mythical powers from all the black fantasy books I read.

"Are you perhaps shy with me or....do you perhaps have a slight crush on me like the other girls do?" He asked abruptly with a sly laughter .

"Stupid." I hissed pushing off his hands.  

How dare he touch me?

"You are really crazy to think I have a crush on you, Triton Damilola or whatever your stupid name is."

"Fierce, I like that. I really like..."

"You guys are late. The meeting has begun." Gretel interrupted walking past us. She didn't look at all pleased with us being few minutes late.

"Sorry." I murmured following her and leaving the lunatic Triton all to himself staring at me even though I badly wanted to hear what he had to say. I really wished Gretel hadn't interrupted us one bit but thanks to her, I avoided being stupid in front of him.

I breathed hard in front of him. My cheeks felt hot and my palms were extremely sweaty.

Did I really have a crush on him?