twelve; and you think of him

The next morning, when I walk into the kitchen to get something to eat, I find Luke sitting at my kitchen table, causally eating a bowl of cereal and talking to Connor.

He turns when he hears me walk into the room. Luke looks me and frowns.

I just sigh at the pity on his face. "I thought you were going to pick me up, not invite yourself to breakfast," I joke, making him smile.

He shrugs. "I was up early, so I thought: why not?"

"Where's Nina?" I ask, noticing he's by himself.

"She's walking to school this morning."

I shake my head at the smirk on his face. "You're bad."

He grins. "Plus, I figured we could talk, if you want to that is."

Connor stands from the kitchen table and puts his empty bowl in the sink. "I'll see you guys later. Niall's giving me a ride and he's been waiting." He waves goodbye as he leaves the room.

When he's gone, I grab the box of cereal and milk from the table and pour myself a bowl. I grab a spoon before taking a spoonful and shoving my spoon in my mouth. Luke frowns at me as I jump to sit on my counter top.

"You know," I start as I take another spoonful, "he wasn't even that hot anyway," I tell Luke. "And I don't need a guy that can't think for himself."

Luke nods and smiles at me, looking very amused as he stands up, putting his bowl in the sink. "You don't, Brianna."

"You were right all along," I say after swallowing.

"No, I wasn't." He frowns again and moves to stand in between my legs. "Maybe I should've kicked his ass."

I roll my eyes. "As if you would've kicked his ass, Luke."

He laughs. "If I wanted to, I could've, alright?"

I laugh. "Aw, sweetie, don't get carried away. However," I say before taking another spoonful, "I'm sure you could've taken him."

He smiles. "You're the only one I would've risked my life for, so you should feel honored."

"Thank you, Lukey, I appreciate that."

He smiles wider. "So do you want to get going?" He asks.

I take my last spoonful of cereal before putting my bowl in the sink. "Let's get out of here and get today over with," I tell him, putting my hands on his shoulders to help myself down.