"You don't seem like the type that would care about those things."

"Not if Draco's is the one beating me! He never beats me!" I am wonderous at choosing battles I know I'll win, he just doesn't realize yet.

"It's the entire house beating us, idiot, don't take it so seriously."

I groaned, pressing my face against the table. He'd rub it in my face for the entirety of summer, I was sure. That notebook would be vibrating from his writing like a Muggle phone.

My gaze followed the rows of banners hanging from the ceiling. It was grand, I will admit, but it would look much better if they were blue.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said, whether mournfully or cheerfully was up to interpretation. "As I understand, the House Cup here needs awarding, and the points standing thus:

"In fourth place, Gryffindor, with 312 point."

A scattered, awkward clap echoed through the hall.

"In third, Hufflepuff, with 352 points."

Another scattered clap with a tad more enthusiasm sounded.

"Ravenclaw has 426. And Slytherin, 472."

Despite the lack of applause from other tables, the Slytherin table may as well have accounted for everybody with how they erupted into cheers.

"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin," Dumbledore said in a dismissive tone. "But due to recent events, I have a few additional points that shall be rewarded."

Smiles faded from the faces of Slytherin students, while others perked up in excitement.

"To Miss Hermione Granger, for her great use of intellect while others were in grave danger, 50 points."

The Gryffindor table regained their energy as they were pushed closer to at least being third place. They cheered and whistled with vigour.

"To Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best-played game of chess that Hogwarts have seen these many years—" although quite literally none of us saw it, "—50 points."

Another cheer, as well as some pats on the back from Ron's brothers.

"And third, Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor House 60 points."

That left Gryffindor and Slytherin suddenly tied. But there couldn't be two winners.

"And, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award 10 points to Neville Longbottom."

My face brightened to a grin as my hands clapped in joy for the boy I had unexpectedly become friends with.

His ten points put Gryffindor in the lead.

"However!" Dumbledore interrupted the applause. "Do not fret, Ravenclaw, for your spot at second place has not been taken. There will always be a sliver of light, a small flame, allowing itself to be overshadowed by the others. It takes a keen eye to see it, but you'll find that it's actually one of the brightest."

His eyes landed on me.

"To Y/N Griffin,"

I choked on my drink and my head snapped to the trio, who all grinned at me. The buggers had snitched.

"I award 50 points for the most impressive investigation Hogw— the wizarding world has seen thus far." He let a chuckle interrupt him. "Without breaking the rules."

House members I had never met before patted my back as some cruel replacement for an applause.

My eyes found Draco's and, to my surprise, he was clapping as well, his eyes rolling but clapping nonetheless.

I turned to the teacher's table, spotting Professor McGonagall holding up the notebook I had given her with a proud smile. "Someone catch me, I'm about to faint."

"You're okay," Morag said, patting my shoulder.

"So, if my calculations are correct, it seems that new decor is in place."

With a raise of his hands, Dumbledore changed the colour of the banners to gold and red.

Gryffindor had won, and frankly, I think they deserved every single point.

I, however, still hung on Dumbledore's words.

The most impressive investigation the wizarding world has seen this far.

The most impressive.

Do you know how long Dumbledore has been around? Far too long. And I was the most impressive.

"Merlin's beard..."

•••

"Aren't you glad, Y/N?" Mandy asked excitedly, pouncing on my back as I packed my things. "Most impressive investigation in the wizarding world!"

I chuckled. "Yeah, I am."

I stood up straight and she backed off. "Do you know where my book on Hogwarts teachers went? I need to return it."

"You never borrowed one," Padma said, locking her trunk.

I furrowed my brow. "Okay..."

We went down to the entrance hall and out to the carriages, which led to the station.

"I can't wait to go home and sleep," I groaned as I sat in the booth.

"Your fault for staying up for that silly investigation," Padma scolded.

"I'm the reason that Ravenclaw remained in second, thank you very much."

I leaned back in my chair with my foot leaned on the opposite and stared outside the window at the world rushing by.

"Ladies," the trolley lady called as she opened the door. "Sweets from the trolley?"

"Oh, yes, thanks." I reached into the bottomless bag my mom gave me and, instead of feeling the things I remembered putting inside, I felt a book.

I peered in, seeing a thick book titled, Hogwarts: 1942-1943.

"What's this...?"