XXXII

I turned and tossed, flipped my pillow over,  drank water, but nothing seemed to be working.

How am I supposed to do this? Wait, I have my phone. Maybe I could text Durand–no! My phone is way back in Arc City!

Fun times don't last forever.  How many missions did I miss? Police could be investigating my apartment. It's probably  alarmed everyone in the city.

I've been here for months.

I should go back. I need to go back.

Honkai and their outbreaks will take over sooner or later. There are more humans than Schicksal Valkryja's in Arc City.

But... I don't want to go back.

I want to stay here with Kalpas sitting together on the couch watching TV, combing my hair, holding my hand, his lips slowly brushing mines. This is where our hearts should be.

I sighed and breathed in his blanket. It smells just like him...

The door knob twists. I immediately pull over the covers.

"Y/N? Are you asleep?" Kalpas. His deep voice is so soft and gentle...

His pillow is soaked and cold. It feels so uncomfortable, especially my hair sprawled everywhere. But I can't let him know I'm awake. It's not his problem. It's mines.

Kalpas' footsteps come closer. Uh oh, is he coming in bed?

The covers gently pull off my head, revealing my face.

"What happened?" Kalpas's eyebrows furrowed at my tear-strained face. "Who hurt you? Do I need to punch someone?" He sat on the bed, close to me.

"No," I pulled the covers back over my face. Stopp. I get so shy, him seeing me in this state when my eyes are puffy and red like they usually are after crying.

"Baby, tell me," Kalpas's fingers brushed against my head, slowly removing the covers.

"I'll cry if I do."

He leaned me towards him. "Then cry."

So I bawled my eyes out, buried in his chest as he kissed my head warmly.

Then I told him everything. I was finally going back to Schicksal Headquarters. I only stayed for one more month because of my desire to be with him.

Kalpas' eyes drooped when I told him.

"You're going to get in trouble because of me."

I blinked in surprise. "You're sad about that?" I thought Kalpas would be sad about me leaving.

"You lied to me. You said you didn't feel well and stayed. Don't you realize you're giving up your job for me?"

My eyes got huge. I realized how horrible I was. I was giving up humanity for love.

-Flashback-

Arc City News: 57 people struck and 236 injured from Honkai outbreaks.

"Father, the outbreaks are becoming more frequent," I slumped, my face dark and gloomy.

"Don't worry. They're trying to get rid of it," Father assured me.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. These organizations are doing their best to protect the world."

"Yeah, I guess."

"When you grow up, life is going to get harder. But be patient over what befalls you. I want the best for humanity and to protect them."

"I want to protect humanity too," I chimed.

"I'm sure you will," he chuckled. "Your father doesn't have strong resistance to Honkai. But he will do his best, just like you will."

-End of flashback-

"I chose to be a Valkryja to protect humanity with my father. But he passed long before we could fight side by side," I laid flat on my back.

Kalpas laid fully down beside me on the mattress and played with my hair.

"Your dad sounds like a good guy," he tucked a strand behind my ear. 

I faced Kalpas, smiling. "He is. I miss him a lot." My father smiling came to mind.

"Speaking of fighting side by side..." Kalpas hesitated, tucking the locks on my neck behind my ear.

"What is it, Kalpas?"

"Nothing," he then buried himself intimately in my neck, his body heat seeping into me.

"No, tell me. I want to hear what you have to say," I insisted.

He raised his head. "...Could I fight by your side, Y/N?"

I placed a small kiss on his lips. "Of course."

His eyes lit up. I'm being so serious, they actually lit up, like colorful fireworks or something. I've never seen him this happy. Kalpas draped his arms around me and kissed me softly until we slept.