XXVII

I gasped, my body quivering my eyes started twinkling like stars. My father died during a surgery for the Fire Moth? Why?

"And Kalpas is working for them," she condescendingly remarked. "The organization that ruthlessly annihilated your precious father."

Why would the Fire Moth do this to my father? What did he ever do? Why would Kalpas work for the Fire Moths? Maybe Kalpas isn't the one for me. He despised me the entire time. Spending time with him was futile.

Y/N... hope I'll never see you again.

All the times we spent together, hanging out at a bridge while eating delicious dango during a beautiful sunset, playing fun arcade games and winning cute plushies, eating at a bar, decorating pancakes together. Kalpas never reminisced them.

I ran from Isabella, my eyes filled with tears, trying to get away from the truth. "No, no. Why does it have to be like this?"

I swerved directions as fast as possible. But then I froze abruptly at the unexpected sight of a figure laid on a platform.

I stared at the unconscious figure. Just from observing, he was still breathing normally. But I swiftly kneeled beside him and checked his pulse. I wiped my eyes with my sleeves and gazed at his body with vague bitterness. There was clouds of dust on him, it looked like it rained chalk on him.

Should I wake him up or leave him there?
He must loathe me, but leaving someone to suffer would make me just as bad as him. I am an S-Rank Valkryja after all. So I shook him awake.

"Hey, wake up," I said, averagely shaking his arms. He showed no sign of awaking. Instead, I heard more snoring.

"There's a fire starting! Wake up!" I shook him harder. Again, no sign of awaking. I'd consider screaming, but I bet he'd sleep through a giant volcano loudly erupting. I screamed anyway.

"KALPAS. WAKE. UP!" I yelled from the top of my lungs, violently shaking him.

To my surprise, he woke up after my remark. "Ah...? Wha!" Kalpas regained his conscious and saw me annoyingly shaking him, "Schicksal Valkryja, stop!" He gripped my wrist tightly.

"What?" I uttered, turning my head away.

He turned his head away from me and released his tight hold of my wrist. "Nothing."

"What happened?" I asked.

Kalpas stayed silent. Then he scoffed and explained to me about a puppet draining his energy and he tried to attack her, but she swapped the gravity and he fell instead.

"I was falling too," I commented. "The puppets are capable of reversing gravity. There has to be something behind all of these puppets."

"Did a puppet drain your energy too?"

"No," I almost told him about the courtroom until my encounter with Isabella about my father's death came back to my mind.

Kalpas stood up on his feet. "I'm going to explore this stupid theatre," he roughly said, walking away from me. I felt disheartened as I sat still watching Kalpas' figure grow smaller and wondering if he'd just leave me here. Suddenly he stops.

"Are you coming or not?"

"My back hurts," I stated. I wasn't lying though. It's painful to fall flat on your back from high surfaces.

"Damfool valkryja, Why didn't you say so?" Kalpas moved towards me and picked me up from the marble floor. My shirt wrinkles against his charred shirt while he looped his arm under my thighs, slightly rubbing them and behind my back.

I panicked, staring at his arms around my thighs. My palms sweat profusely, "Kalpas, what're you doing?!"

He leaned in towards me, his scent and touch warming up my body. "Carrying you."