"Just say it, Noah," I sigh, sinking down on the couch, the opposite end from him.

I watch Noah rub his hands together before scrubbing them over his face, whatever we needed to talk about he was nervous about it. He still doesn't say anything as he tosses his hair behind his shoulders then tucks it behind his ears.

"Noah!" I snap and he turns to me finally. His dark eyes are sad, but I can't tell why.

"There's no good way to say this, so I'm just going to say it," Noah says, rubbing his hands over his knees and readjusting himself on the couch. "There's a reason I'm guarding you," I start to say something but he shakes his head, "No, let me finish before you say anything." I nod at him to go on, "You are special," I roll my eyes, "No, really. I don't know how or why you were chosen, but one day you are going to hold the weight of the world in your hands. There's going to come a day where you are going to be asked to sacrifice yourself to stop the end of the world." Noah pauses lets out a puff of air, "I have to keep you safe until the Annihilation is upon us, just for you to have to die."

I think I'm going to throw up. I can't leave the house without locking the door repetitively, I am terrified of dying, I can't do this. I can't get breath into my lungs and I'm having a hard time seeing straight.

"Angel, what's wrong with your heart?" I can hear it pounding in my ears. I shove off of the couch, but I stumble. Noah's long arms are there, steadying me, "what's wrong?" he demands.

I don't know, this might actually be the time it's a real heart attack and not just a panic attack. I'm gasping for air as I try to keep from blacking out, Noah still has me in his arms and he gently touches my forehead. Suddenly all of the anxiety seeps out of my body and I can breathe again, Noah pushes the hair around my face out of my eyes with a single fingertip. His touch is feather light as he searches my face, while his strong arm is locked around my waist.

I'm dizzy again for a completely different reason, he's so close and he's so warm and I just want him to kiss me. I want him to put his big hands all over my body, I want him to make me forget all of my worries. Embarrassingly, a moan slips from my lips when his hand tightens on my waist. His fingers are too close to the waist band of my shorts. His eyes darken as he licks his lips, and I think he can hear my thoughts. He's going to do it, he's going to put me out of my misery.

I think he's leaning in closer and I close my eyes in anticipation of what is to come, but before I feel his lips on mine he is letting go of my waist and I have to catch myself from falling over. I feel cold wash over me at the loss of his touch and I furrow my eyebrows as I watch him slink over to the door.

He paces back and forth, "We can't- I can't. This can't ever happen, Briar. There can never be anything between us," he says and it sounds like it pains him. "It's forbidden."

"And I'm just your ticket to getting your wings back?"

Noah's head snaps to me, "No," he says, he makes a move to come to me, but thinks better of it and balls his hands into fists. He looks tortured as he stays right where he is, "No, it's not that."

"Then what is it?"

"I would lose more than my wings, Briar. I'd be cast into the Abyss," Noah says, his eyes pleading with me. I don't know what he wants from me.

"Why me, Noah?"

"You were made of the Blue and the Abyss," he says cryptically, I don't know what that means. My parents weren't the greatest, but I was sure neither of them was from the Abyss.

"What? My parents- they're not evil," I say incredulously. I can't believe I'm in this discussion. I didn't even believe in any of this stuff. "The Blue and the Abyss? They don't exist.  It's a story to keep people in line."