Chapter 5: Sonya Blade

Back at the refugee camp, Sonya walks through with her phone to her ear. A squad of S-F soldiers walks just behind her.

SONYA: Thanks for the heads up, Sergeant. Stay with Kotal Kahn. We'll figure out next steps once I've got Kano locked down.

CASSIE: (Over the phone) Yes ma'am. Cage out. Sonya stops and looks out to the Outworld refugees.

SONYA: He's still here. I can feel it.

As she continues through the camp, she comes across two of her medics carrying a bodybag on a stretcher.

SONYA: Report.

MEDIC: One of the refugees. Found her near the north perimeter.

Sonya unzips the bag. It contains a young Outworld woman who looks far plainer than Li Mei. Further detracting from her looks is her slashed throat, and adding insult to injury, her tongue is sticking out through the open slit in her neck.

SONYA: That's one of Kano's "neckties".

Her composure briefly drops, but she steels herself in short order and zips the bodybag back up.

SONYA: (To the medics) Inform Li Mei. Tell her we're investigating.

The medics walk off with the bodybag. Sonya pulls out a talisman that acts as a communicator. An image of Raiden is projected on it.

SONYA: Raiden, what'd you find?

RAIDEN: Shinnok's Amulet has been stolen. Replaced by an exquisite duplicate.

SONYA: Damn it.

On the projection, Raiden looks to his left.

RAIDEN: Something is wrong. I will speak to you once I--

The projection fizzles out.

SONYA: Raiden? Raiden!

After a moment of contemplation, she puts the talisman in her back pocket while whirling around to address her soldiers.

SONYA: Lieutenant, I need you to take a team to Fort Charles. Check in with Raiden and report back.

The soldiers march off. Johnny Cage chooses this moment to stroll up to Sonya.

JOHNNY: What's goin' on?

SONYA: What's your update from Colonel Flagg?

JOHNNY: He said, "Why're you bothering me?" and I said, "Because my ex-wife is a pain in the--"

She holds a hand up to stop Johnny and turns, walking away from him. Johnny is quick to follow and intercept her.

JOHNNY: Where you goin'? You can't just walk away. I'm in this too.

SONYA: Not my decision. Thank your buddy, Secretary Blake.

JOHNNY: THIS is what split us up in the first place. You disappear in your work. Never time for me and Cassie.

SONYA: I had responsibilities. Sorry you couldn't be the centre of attention.

Johnny bites back his retort, and delivers a carefully measured response.

JOHNNY: There was a time when you cared more about your family than your job... General.

He walks off. Sonya continues in the direction she was going.

*Twenty Years Ago - Quan Chi's Fortress*

Sonya and Johnny have reached the bottom of a large staircase, with a few S-F soldiers in tow. While the soldiers have automatic rifles as firearms, Johnny and Sonya are only using pistols.