Chapter 9: Kitana

Back in the Wastelands, Kitana and Jade are conversing.

KITANA: Is this how you show your loyalty, Jade?

JADE: Kitana, I

KITANA: You follow me when I clearly wish to be alone, then you upbraid me? I will not be scolded like some child!

JADE: You need to be careful. I have never seen your father this angry with you.

Kitana dismisses this advice and begins to walk away.

JADE: You are a princess. He expects more from you than this.

KITANA: I know what he expects!

JADE: We will talk later. When you are in more of a mind to listen.

She walks off, leaving Kitana alone. At the sound of a lightning flash, she turns around to face Raiden, Johnny Cage, Smoke and Lew Liang.

RAIDEN: Princess Kitana. I request an audience.

KITANA: Earthrealmers! You dare approach me?

JOHNNY CAGE: Hey listen, honey, we don't wanna fight.

SMOKE: But we will if we must!

KITANA: You will learn respect!

They fight. Both Johnny Cage and Smoke find out the hard way that this was the wrong time to approach Kitana. Caught offguard by her furious assault, both of them are soon lying on the ground in front of her.

KITANA: Shao Kahn wants death to follow kombat. I will give it to him.

RAIDEN: Perhaps Lew was wrong about you. Or perhaps he sensed, as I do, that there is conflict within you.

Raiden helps Johnny back to his feet.

JOHNNY CAGE: Thanks. Ow. You couldn't've seen that in one o' your hot flashes?

He walks off to help Smoke back up, leaving Raiden and Kitana alone.

RAIDEN: Something whispers to you that circumstances should be different. That you should be different. You are much more like Sindel than Shao Ka

Raiden sees another vision, one of Sindel brainwashed and screaming.

RAIDEN: But... she is dead...

KITANA: My mother is dead, yes. Why do you

RAIDEN: You need answers, Kitana. I can help you find them, if you will trust in me. Go to Shang Tsung's Flesh Pits. Much will be revealed there.

KITANA: The Flesh Pits? But I am forbidden to

RAIDEN: Yes. You are. And why is that?

KITANA: I... don't know. Tell me

RAIDEN: You must discover your true path. Alone.

He walks off and teleports away offscreen. The scene then changes to Kitana walking through the Living Forest. She looks around and then comes to a standstill.

KITANA: Show yourself, Jade. I know you're following me. Again.

Jade walks in front of her.

JADE: Following you still. I know where you're going. I am ordered to prevent you from going there.

KITANA: And why is that?

JADE: I do not question the emperor's commands. Kitana, please. Turn back.

KITANA: I cannot. This path might lead me to the truth. I'm sorry, Jade... but I will not allow you to stop me.

They fight. While her friend is an athletic and agile warrior, Kitana's fighting skill and determination see her through the battle. Eventually Jade is beaten unconscious.

KITANA: I tried to warn you... This is something I have to do.

She walks off and into the Flesh Pits. Looking around, she spots what appear to be remains of Tarkatans, their blood spilled and flesh removed. Several tubes of liquid contain unidentifiable humanoid abominations. One in particular catches Kitana's eye. The occupant of the tube is naked except for several bandages in strategic places, and aside from the grotesque mouth being of a Tarkatan origin, the face, hair and body is that of Kitana.

KITANA: What in the name of...

She backs away and walks over to a table that has another clone on it. This one is identical to the one in the tube. Kitana leans in for a closer look.

KITANA: She looks like... me!

The clone suddenly opens it's eyes, revealing them to be of the same orange glow as a Tarkatan's. Gasping, Kitana backs up.

MILEENA: Sister!

The clone sits up and gets off the table.

MILEENA: So pretty, so fair, so sad and alone... Come. Let us be a family!

KITANA: You are not my family. You are a monstrosity!

They fight. Kitana finds out the hard way that the clone is able to use magical powers and is not averse to getting violent. Nonetheless, her own weapons and fighting skill manages to see her through the fight, and eventually the clone is left unconscious on the floor.

KITANA: Farewell, sister!

Before she can finish the clone, Shang Tsung walks into the Flesh Pits.

SHANG TSUNG: That is no way to treat your sibling.

KITANA: Despicable swine! Do you think my father will stand for this... these... abominations you have created here?!

SHANG TSUNG: I am merely perfecting you, princess. As difficult as that might be.

KITANA: Silence! I will drag you before Shao Kahn by your pointed beard!

They fight. Despite the sorcerer's recent revitalisation, Kitana's fury gives her the edge in the fight. She soon has Tsung on the floor, beaten.

KITANA: Get up.

She picks him up by the shirt.

KITANA: You will stand before my father and confess your deeds.

She turns him around, shoves him forward and leaves the Flesh Pits with him. In Shao Kahn's throne room, Tsung is kneeling with two Tarkatan guards standing over him.

KITANA: I would not disturb you, father, if this matter were not of upmost importance. I felt you should know what Shang Tsung has been doing as of late. This conjurer has created horrid replicas of me crossbred with Tarkatan blood! One was alive and attacked me!

Shao Kahn stands from his throne and walks toward Shang Tsung. He looks toward Kitana, and then to Tsung... and motions with his hand that he rise.

SHAO KAHN: Well done, sorcerer.

Tsung bows his head and smiles before standing.

KITANA: You know... You... approve? How could you? My own father!

SHAO KAHN: I am your emperor! Your father was a weaking Edenian king. I annihilated him while merging his realm with Outworld and took his queen as my wife. If only I had not allowed Sindel to convince me of your worth... But now I have a true daughter!

KITANA: Raiden was right. You have lied to me my entire life.

SHAO KAHN: (To the guards) Escort her to the Tower. I will make an example of her.

The guards restrain Kitana and carry her off. Shao Kahn addresses Shang Tsung once more.

SHAO KAHN: Return to the Flesh Pits. Bring me my daughter. Mileena.

As the Tarkatan guards escort Kitana off, Jade follows them outside of Kahn's view.

JADE: I failed you, Kitana. Now I will make amends.