Chapter 1: Lew Liang

Shang Tsungs Island

LIU KANG: Lord Raiden! What is wrong?

RAIDEN: Strange visions...

A crackling of magic emanates from Raiden's amulet. He holds it in his hand. It has cracked in several places.

LIU KANG: Your amulet!

RAIDEN: It is nothing, Liu Kang. The tournament begins.

They both turn to witness a procession of monks walking towards them. It becomes apparent they are on Shang Tsung's magical island. Johnny Cage watches alongside Sonya Blade to the left of them. Sub-Zero(Bi-Han) and Lew Liang are slightly behind them with Cyrax and Sektor flanking him.

Behind the grandmasters throne. The elderly Shang-Tsung walks out, flanked by Kitana and Jade. Baraka enters as well to the left of them. Nightwolf watches cautiously, while Quan Chi and Scorpion watch them impassively. The monks finish their walk and sit down before Shang Tsung.

SHANG TSUNG: Kombatants. I am Shang Tsung! In the coming days each of you will fight. Some are here of their own volition, others were brought here by chance...

As Tsung continues talking, Johnny Cage looks to his right at Sonya.

JOHNNY CAGE: Hey, beautiful. Johnny Cage.

SONYA: Good for you.

JOHNNY CAGE: What? "Massive Strike", "Citizen Cage", "Ninja Mime"? None of those ring a bell?

Sonya looks over to see another kombatant walking out into the arena.

SONYA: Kano...

JOHNNY CAGE: "Kano"? Wasn't in that one...

SHANG TSUNG: You participate in the most important Mortal Kombat in history! This tournament, the tenth after nine Outworld victories, will determine Earthrealm's fate. If you defeat all of your opponents, you will face one final challenge... me.

JOHNNY CAGE: Huh! That old geezer's the final challenge? They might as well give me the belt right now. They do have belts, right?

LEW LIANG: Cocky, can't wait to shut him up!

BI-HAN: Quiet Nephew, you will get your chance.

LEW LIANG: Fine.

Someone coughs behind Cage. He turns around to see Shang Tsung standing beside him.

JOHNNY CAGE: What? How did you

SHANG TSUNG: Appearances can be deceiving.

He levitates back toward his throne.

SHANG TSUNG: Our first kombatant will be Mr. Cage!
Johnny laughs defiantly and strides forward.

JOHNNY CAGE: That's right! That's right! Who's it gonna be?

SHANG TSUNG: Reptile!

Cage looks toward a rooftop of the arena. Reptile materialises on the rooftop and jumps to the arena floor to the monks applause.

LEW LIANG: Interesting..

JOHNNY CAGE: Nice stunt! Who's your agent?

SHANG TSUNG: Begin!

JOHNNY CAGE: All right, it's showtime!

They fight. Cage gets his chance to show off his considerable martial skills against the Zaterran assassin. After a fierce exchange, Cage shows he can back up his trash talking by managing to defeat Reptile.

JOHNNY CAGE: He got Caged! That's it, ha haa! Oh yeah! I'm so pretty!

Liu Kang and Raiden watch Johnny's gloating with equal amounts of disgust. Cage then stalks up to several of the observing kombatants.

JOHNNY CAGE: And I'm takin' you down, I'm takin' you down, I'm takin' you out, I'm takin' you out, and I'm taking you out...

LEW LIANG: Pathetic.

He's now in front of Sonya.

JOHNNY CAGE: ...for dinner!

Johnny snickers as Sonya reacts with disdain.

SHANG TSUNG: Your second challenge, Mr. Cage. Lew of the Lin Kuei!

The Lin Kuei warrior approaches and jumps to the arena floor to the monks applause.

RAIDEN: Never seen or heard of this Lin Kuei Warrior Before, I can sense that he is strong.

LIU KANG: Mr Cage shouldn't underestimate him.

RAIDEN: Indeed.

JOHNNY CAGE: Hmmm, ok... Nice outfit! Cosplay?

Lew summons his fiery Sword and icey axe

JOHNNY CAGE: Woah! Nice special effects!

LEW LIANG: Your Overconfidence will be your downfall!

They fight. Even though he's just fought an intense battle with Reptile, Cage shows he still has the stamina to take on Lew. After another hard fought exchange, Lew manages to emerge victorious and manages to be the last one standing.

LEW LIANG: Glad to wipe that smile of your face!

SHANG TSUNG: Congratulations, Lew. Now, FINISH HIM!

LEW LIANG: I will not

SHANG TSUNG: Kill him!

Lew Liang looks to the crowd. Bi-Han and Cyrax look on in anticipation, as do Quan Chi and Scorpion. Lew begins to realise the gravity of his situation.

LEW LIANG: killing a harmless arrogant actor is not worth to be killed, I'm a honourable warrior, I only finish those who deserve it

Liu Kang throws a confused look at Raiden, who takes in the scene impassively.

SHANG TSUNG: Very well.

He stands up from his chair.

SHANG TSUNG: The tournament will resume at dawn!

He turns around and departs. The monks all rise and start to do the same.

SEKTOR: Lew, I am disappointed that you did not finish him

LEW LIANG: No disrespect Grandmaster, he's not worth the finish

Sektor walks away with sektor

BI-HAN: Nephew, why did you do that was stupid.

LEW LIANG: Sorry Uncle, I'm all about Honour, not savagery.

Bi-Han ignores him and starts to follow Sektor Lew Liang turns around and rubs his hands in anticipation.

As he is stuck in his thoughts, he finds Raiden and Liu Kang walking up to him.

RAIDEN: You fought well.

LEW LIANG: Thank you, Lord Raiden

LIU KANG: Your Quite the Warrior Lew

LEW LIANG: My thanks, now if you don't mind, I'm off to do some training for my next fight.

He turns to leave but Kang steps in his path.

LIU KANG: How did you get your abilities?

LEW LIANG: Out of my way Shaolin!

RAIDEN: You defeated Mr Cage so easily, he's one our earthrealm fighters on our side

LEW LIANG: The arrogant actor has some power within him and he does not know it, he has potential.

RAIDEN: I see, you should ally with us not outworld, the emperor Shao Kahn is one step closer to physically absorbing our world into his thanks to you.

LEW LIANG: I don't care what Shao Kahn does it's not my business.

RAIDEN: Then you have doomed us all.

LEW LIANG: I'm at this tournament because I like to prove my strength and be one of the best warriors for my clan.

He gives Raiden a Glare

LEW LIANG: Now if you excuse me I must go and start training.

He walks away to go to his fellow Lin Kuei.

LIU KANG: What do you see in him?

RAIDEN: He is a hero, Liu Kang, though he may not yet know it.