It's what friends do

As the five of us made our way from our table to the lunch line I began to wonder. Wonder why the twins had suddenly joined our class half way through the first semester? Maybe their mother or father had got offered a job out here? Maybe their father had got a promotion? Maybe their mother had thought it would be good for a fresh new start?

Maybe...

"Earth to Y/N!" Georg said, as he waved his hand infront of my eyes that had zoned out on a table in the room. "Huh?" I asked, I hadn't realized that we were already next in line. I quickly made way down the line as I grabbed a tray as I grabbed a carton of milk, a cup of mashed potatos, a cup of Mac-n-cheese, apple slices, and a wrapped chocolate cookie. As I made my way to the end of the line I watched as the lunch lady rung up my food "That will be 3.50 euros Hon." Yikes. I nodded as I pulled out 3 crumpled dollar bills out of my pocket along with some change. I slid the money to the woman. I watched as she quickly scanned the money with her eyes making sure that it was all there.

"Have a great day Hon." The woman said sliding the cash into the register. "You too." I said, smiling as I made my way back to our table waiting for Georg,Gustav,Bill,and Tom. As I sat down in my spot in the middle I watched as Georg and Gustav ordered their usually meals. Georg would always choose a slice of cheese pizza or lasagna any chance he could get with a side of corn or baby carrots and occasionally a frozen yogurt. While Gutsav on the other hand would either get pasta or a piece of chicken with a side of celery or apple slices and a ice pop to top it all off. As I began to eat my mac-n-cheese I watched as Georg and Gutsav began to sit next to me.

This time with different foods. "They didn't have cheese pizza or pasta?" I asked looking at the two, "No." Georg said as he looked down at his spaghetti while Gutsav pretended to wipe tears from his eyes looking down at his grilled cheese. "You two are the biggest drama Queens I've met you know that?" I laughed, shaking my head.

As I took a spoon of my mashed potatos and ate it I looked back to the lunch line to see Bill patting the back of his pockets and looking to Tom who patted his own and shrugged. "I'll be back." I said, swallowing my warm mashed potatos. I quickly made my way over to the lunch line to see Bill and Tom. "I'm sorry Boys but if you don't have money on you now you're gonna have to add money to a tab which I can put you on but that's gonna cost an extra 5." I looked as the boys looked at each other in confusion not knowing what they should do. Bill soon saw me make my way over to the two and spoke. "Hi Y/N, sorry we're keeping you guys waiting." I turned to the lunch lady, "Yes Dear?" She spoke, I felt for my pockets. Shoot. I didn't have money either. "How much for both of their meals?"
"7 euros." The woman replied, "Could you add the seven to my tab?" "Are you sure dear?" The woman questioned, I turned to see Bill and Tom.

Tom stood behind Bill shaking his head slightly giving me a look saying, "No we can make a tab." While Bill looked at me his eyes full of curiosity. Wondering what I might say to the woman. I looked back to the lady. "I'm sure Ma'am." I said, the woman gave me a smile. "Well aren't you a good friend?" She pulled out a writing tablet. "Your name sweetheart?" "Y/N L/N." "Okay I've got you all set Y/N." "Enjoy your lunch dears." The lady replied. I liked the lunch lady, she had been working at this school for about 15 years now. And always managed to make herself upbeat and happy at 12:00am. "Thank you." I said, as I motioned for the twins to follow me back to our time.

"Y/N you know you didn't have to do that." Tom said, "I know I said, looking forward "Why'd you help pay for us?" Tom questioned, "Adding the money we owed to your tab." I turned to the boys walking backwards keeping my eyes on them. "Because....." I paused, I thought about that day. My first day at a new school. I spent my first day alone and nervous. Not nervous about the classes or teachers. But the students, and what they would think of me. I had changed schools because I had got into a fight at my old school with a old friend. I remember that fight. My old friend, Joanna and I that day had got into a disagreement with one of my friends, Marie. The two were very good friends of mine. They didn't like each other and I knew they didn't like each other. I thought maybe if I could get the two to hang out they would warm up to each other.