It wasn't Patrick who had been bitten.

It was Carlos.

In what must have been the last second. He had thrown himself between Patrick and the zombies.

No.

Carlos and Patrick were trying to fend off the two zombies – trying to get the one clinging to Carlos's arm like a tick to release its hold. Carlos let out an agonized cry when it finally did, pulling at skin and muscle until it tore free with a mouthful.

Rage crackled through me like ice. The world slowed from one breath to the next and before I could even register what I doing, I slammed my hatchet down into the zombie's skull with enough force that I was sure I heard it crack. The impact made my arms shake, but I white-knuckled the handle and tugged the weapon free again with a wet pop.

On what felt like my second breath, I swung my hatchet into the second zombie's temple. The zombie dropped without giving me a chance to take the hatchet back. I went to make a move to retrieve it when I saw another zombie coming. If I made a move for the hatchet, it would cut me off from where Carlos had collapsed to his knees. I wouldn't be able to reach him in time.

Leaving my weapon, I grabbed my friend. "Get up," I snapped at Carlos, already tugging him to his feet.

He resisted only for a moment before Patrick began to help me. Between the two of us, Carlos was on his feet almost instantly.

"Get his rifle!" I ordered Patrick, knowing that we needed something.

Patrick snatched it up, but he could only hold it with one hand. He carried his hurt arm tucked protectively into his stomach.

"Take Carlos," I said, holding out my hand for the gun.

Patrick's eyes widened, darting between the two of us, not even noticing how rapidly more zombies approached. "But-"

"Take him!"

Over my dead body was I going to leave Carlos behind. He was going to die but not here.

Not like this.

Patrick passed me the rifle and I immediately shot the zombie that had made it into arms reach of Patrick. The man's entire body quaked and, for a brief second, I was sure he was going to faint, but he pulled himself together.

"Leave me," Carlos said in a gruff tone. His voice held no fear or bitterness, only exasperation.

"No." My single-word answer left no room for discussion.

I didn't know how zombies worked, not really. I'd heard the reports that it usually took a few hours to a half day to turn, but I'd never seen it. For all I knew, Carlos could turn as we walked down the street.

It doesn't matter.

I wouldn't let his last moments be full of pain and blood, surrounded by fighting. He deserved better. He deserved so much better.

Giving Carlos a hard look of reassurance, I made a move to walk. "Let's-" I turned forward right as a zombie made it within inches of my face.

There was a boom and I barely had the chance to squeeze my eyes shut before I felt cold, sticky liquid hit my face. I recoiled, frantically wiping at my face as I did. When I opened my eyes again, the zombie was on the ground – and half of its skull was gone.

"Hurry!" Neveah screamed.

I gasped as Marcy grabbed ahold of my sleeve and began tugging. Realizing what had happened – that the group had come back and saved us – I felt what was left of my rage melt away. Instead, I was flooded with focus.