Chapter 31

Approaching Paula's lifeless form, I didn't want to touch her. I couldn't look at her straight on. Even still, I moved with purpose, not wanting anyone else to see my self-doubt.

I made Ray follow Misty and me. I needed him to keep Prisha busy while we moved the body. I trusted her... but only to an extent. Prisha was set in her ways and while I believed she'd follow my decision, I also knew that she'd question it. I didn't have time to convince her to see the situation from my side. She'd protest and we'd lose the little time we had.

"Go," I hissed at Ray as I bent over Paula's body.

He found her in her previous spot in the dining room just out of sight. I could barely make out their soft whispers. I had him tell her to be prepared for the outsiders to sneak in from the back of the house. She needed to be ready to watch out backs.

I hooked my arms through Paula's, heaving her up into a sitting position by her armpits.

Maybe we should change the plan and put her by a door. She could look easy to knock out and...

I blanched at my own train of thought.

We have to use her. It's her last way of helping us.

Misty grabbed Paula by the legs, wedging the fire poker under one of her arms as she did.

"One. Two. Three." On three, she helped me lift. Paula was frail, but neither one of us was prepared for the weight. I stumbled back a step nearly dropping the body in the process.

Maybe we can make her look alive and like we've kicked her out and she's just unconscious?

In a painfully slow process, we shuffled towards the hall. My back was straining and I had to signal Misty to lower Paula for a moment of reprieve.

No. No point.

I nodded to Misty that I was ready again and made sure to lift with my legs.

Leaving a coat on her will help, but should we give her a backpack?

We made it to the glass doors and shook my head at Ian when he approached to help.

No. They'll never believe we'd give it up. We have to look weak – not stupid.

"Stay out of sight," I reminded him before turning back to Misty. "We'll probably need to put her down while I get the door."

"Okay." The strain in Misty's voice didn't help my nerves.

They need to see us struggle – even with the door.

I made a show of it, wondering if they could even see me through the glass or if they were even looking.

Put on a fucking performance.

If I was going to use my friend's body like a freaking puppet, I was going to make damn sure it was worth it.

I fumbled with the door more than necessary, letting it swing wide open as though I'd lost control while trying to not let the body slump to the floor. The body leaned heavily on my legs as I struggled to regain my grip under its armpits.

"You good?" I asked Misty, hoping my exaggerated whisper didn't sound too forced.

She couldn't speak. Her face had gone so pale it was nearly ashen. No performance would be needed from her. Misty's authentic reaction was enough to make anyone believe we were on the verge of collapse.

"Don't look at her," I told Misty as we crossed the threshold onto the small back deck. Our feet crunched loudly on the thin layer of snow as we practically dragged the body outside into the cold, night air.