Chapter 51

Pain pulsed in my head as I took a deep, sharp intake of air. The scent of lemons filled my nose. It held notes of chemicals and bleach, telling me that the smell must have come from some kind of cleaner.

I took another breath of air and tried to open my eyes only for another explosion of pain to wrack through my skull. I grit my teeth and tried to move my head to a more comfortable position, but I might as well have been trying to move a bowling ball with my neck.

Taking an inventory of my body, I could tell I was laying on my side. My face rested against the cold, hard floor. I could move my feet freely, but my hands... they were cuffed.

They were behind my back and I could feel the icy bite of metal digging into my wrists. I tried to wiggle my fingers to revive some of their feeling, but all the movement did was send pins and needles up my arms as the blood desperately tried to regain circulation.

"Well, get her up already." The deep, melodic voice came from the far end of whatever kind of room I was in. His voice slightly echoed throughout the space.

"She awake. She's just faking it," a raspy, high-pitched voice responded.

I stilled instantly, trying to hold my breath.

I'm asleep.

I'm not awake.

I heard movement and despite feeling the pain in my head all the way through my nose and jaw, I did my best to relax my face.

I'm not here.

I'm anywhere but here.

The sound of a smack against skin came from in front of me. It was followed by a yelp of pain and my body jolted as though I was the one who had been struck. My hands twisted in their restraints acting from instinct rather than thought.

"Told you she was up." The raspy voice spoke again.

Sniffling started to come from my left, but someone aggressively shushed them. They quieted, but only after letting out a long whimper.

What the hell is going on?

I tried to remember back, doing my best to hold myself still as I did. Almost as if playing out like a movie before my eyes, the day's events came back to me in a rush. It made a cold, clammy sweat break out across my skin.

"It doesn't have to be like this. All you need to do is tell me where the rest of your group went." The deep, melodic voice chided as if he was a parent scolding a child.

A heavy silence followed.

"Alright, bring her to the front," he sighed, sounding exasperated.

Shuffled movements came from in front of me and for a moment, I was sure they were going to grab me, but they didn't. Whatever was happening, it was all about someone else. I felt a touch of relief before it was dampened by shame.

If it's not me... then who are they questioning?

My gut twisted as I knew I'd have to open my eyes.

The task wasn't as easy as I'd thought. The pain in my head increased tenfold with just a crack of light hitting my eyes. I physically recoiled, feeling almost blinded by the dim light.

I blinked over and over again to try to get my eyes to adjust and, as I did, I could finally make out where I was. It was a courtroom.

The space was modern and sleek with white marble floors and wood in rich red and honey colors. Every chair and table seemed to be present and in the proper place. It was evident that the place was well cared for. Oil lamps were hung up on the walls, but the light they emitted was artificial, casting a much harsher yellow light.