Chapter 18

"Don't take this the wrong way," Carlos said, keeping his gun carefully trained on me. "I need you to put your hands back up. We aren't going to steal from you, but my wife is going to check you over for any other weapons."

I looked at the woman standing by his shoulder and was relieved to see she wore a welcoming expression. Standing about an inch taller than her husband, she looked to be about the same age as him with her soft features showing signs of aging from the crow's feet at the edges of her eyes. Her hair was pulled back in a tight knot, but I could still see the grey streaks in her dark brown hair. What really surprised me about the couple, however, was their clothing.

Snow gear.

They were both bundled up in down jackets, snow pants, boots, gloves – the works. If it had been any other circumstances, they would have looked like a pair ready for a ski trip. As things were, they were the best-dressed people for survival that I'd seen. It was both shocking and confusing, especially as I trembled from a chill that had set in so deep I could feel it in my bones.

"Okay," I answered Carlos through clenched teeth, putting my hands up. It wasn't like I had any other options as I'd already given away my gun. My next best weapon was my pesticide, but that was tucked away in my backpack. Even if I'd had it out and wanted to use it, it would have been a terrible idea to let it loose in such a confined space. Their small back hall foyer was barely big enough for the three of us and spraying anything would result in fumigating the place.

The woman walked over and began patting me down. From the corner of my eye, I could see her nose crinkle at my smell, but she didn't comment on it. As she got lower and touched my jeans, she recoiled a bit after touching them. "You're soaking wet."

I know.

She continued down to my ankles. "You must be freezing."

I am.

"Can I check inside your bag?"

Why not?

My head throbbed and my eyes burned from exhaustion. I wanted the process over with as soon as possible so I could figure out what my next steps would be. With numb fingers, I peeled my backpack off of my shoulder and brought it to my front to unzip it. I held it open for her as she poked around inside of it. She paused when she came across Abby's hanger, but otherwise seemed satisfied.

"You're all set." She backed away from me and put a gentle hand on her husband's shoulder. "Lower it a bit," her voice sounded soft but clear. With a bit of hesitation, Carlos lowered his gun to aim it downwards, but his hold was still one where that could quickly change at a moment's notice. Even though Carlos held the gun, I noted that despite all of his wife's gentle features, she had a commanding presence.

"I'm Paula," the woman said, finally introducing herself. "Why don't you come into the family room while I get you a blanket."

"Thank you, but, uh, do you mind if I changed first?" The couple exchanged a look. I couldn't entirely blame them for it. "I can do it with you in the room," I added, looking at Paula.

Paula shook her head. "It's fine. You can use the restroom. It's the first door on the left."

I nodded and followed her directions. Gingerly closing the door behind me, I took in what felt like my first real breath in over a day. My guard wasn't down, but as I looked around the bathroom and its charming decorations, I felt like I'd stepped into the past. Everything was in its place, there was no buildup of dust or musty smell clinging to the air. As I examined a small picture of dancing bunnies passing each other flowers in their movements, I truly understood that I had broken into a home – whether or not it was initially theirs.