Summer bingeing on Wattpad

A new month, a new discussion question! This summer, we are here with a fun topic about summer and media! Let's hear from some of our members.

---

Question posted on June 11, 2023:

With summer vacation having finally begun in many places, we'd like to hear your opinions on our not-so-serious, but super fun all the same, question for the month: 

What forms of media are best for bingeing while the summer sun rages outside? Do you read more, set big writing goals, or do you focus more on the multitude of movies, tv and music you can consume to your heart's desire? 

And finally, an additional, just for fun question: What's the best way to spend the summer? We want to hear about your reading and writing goals, as well as any fun summer plans.

*note, all answers are slightly modified for grammar and structure*

Winning answer by sandydragon1:

Books and Wattpad stories are perfect for binge reading year round since you can easily read them anywhere. Whether you want to bask in the sun or hole up like a vampire who will spontaneously combust if they set foot outside, it's easy to find a comfy spot and read a bunch. Plus, Wattpad stories offer endless variety, making it super easy to find stuff to read. If you ever need recs, just ask your resident binger (me)!

1st Runner-up answer (tied) by AziaElga:

I have to admit that when it's hot out, my ability to cozy up and read/write decreases LOL so for the first question, I know I try to binge watch more TV series or movies instead. I just binged and finished Never Have I Ever in a weekend! 

And my favorite summer activity is to go out, buy a cup of boba, and shop around downtown or something. 

1st Runner-up answer (tied) by AsheJunius:

What forms of media are best for bingeing while the summer sun rages outside? 

It's usually around that time of the year when I change up my musical tastes, play different games, and read books outside my comfort zone. I normally listen to symphonic metal and rock, like Epica, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Delain, and Evanescence. I also read primarily YA books. And play mostly RPGs like the Final Fantasy series.However, summer is where I switch things up by exploring new creative territories and revisiting universes I haven't been in for many years.Examples:Last year (or maybe the year before), I finished a Stephen King book for the first time: IT. Admittedly, there were some uncomfortable moments but I stomached through it. Previously, his books would end up in the DNF pile, but not anymore. I eventually read two more King novels, The Stand and The Institute. Enjoyed them both before returning to my usual territory of YA stuff. 

Two weeks ago, Street Fighter VI came out. So I've been bingeing on the World Tour Mode (the single player open world mode). Admittedly, World Tour Mode feels like a modern RPG, but when random encounters happen, it shifts to the good old Street Fighter mode of you versus the other guy. I wish there were more options for glamour, but I like the flexibility of character creation. 

Last SF game I played was IV. I skipped through V. Not sure why, though. And I never played III, but I played the spin-offs like Capcom vs SNK 2. However, playing SFVI reminded me of my younger days of playing Street Fighter II Turbo. Played as Cammy back then, and I still do today but with the simpler Modern control scheme (because my lalafell sized brain can understand 3 attack buttons better than 6) ... even though I still perform the usual motions for the special abilities instead of using the designated Instant Special button.

I've also been listening to a lot more video game soundtracks. Probably because I've been pumping up my imagination and outlining the next book in my series, and video game music strangely works for that purpose. For example, there's an orchestral cover of Guile's theme on Apple Music that I have on repeat so it helps me drive the mood of a certain scene, mood, and purpose regarding the leader of an imperial army from another world.

Actually, I play either Orchestral or Metal covers of certain video game songs. Reminds me of the music in the Final Fantasy games where the genre is all over the place but the leitmotif is there to remind you that you're still in a certain setting or region. I don't have a favorite video game music cover artist, but if I've been listening to a lot of music from the same artist, I'll hit up their YouTube channel, if they have one.

What's the best way to spend the summer? We want to hear about your reading and writing goals, as well as any fun summer plans.

I finished one goal already, and that was to upload the final chapter of my book on Wattpad, The Revelers, and mark it "Complete." However, the next goal is to write the next five chapters of the sequel, so I have a bit of a backlog before I start the weekly routine. I intend to upload the prologue and the first chapter in late July. However, I probably won't have an official cover for it until September or October, so an AI-generated placeholder image will have to do for the time being.

---

And that's all! Thank you to everyone who participated in this round's discussion questions, and congratulations to the winners! Feel free to leave any additional thoughts in the comments.

See you next round, debaters!