Happy Birthday

Ballister usually paid attention to most lessons.
Not this one though.
But in his defense, he already knew everything going on in this lesson.
And the better reason.
He was currently watching Ambrosius's class from the window practicing.

Soon enough Ambrosius saw Ballister from the window.
Ambrosius waved toward Ballister.
Ballister smiled and waved back.
Ballister noticed that class was soon ending so Ambrosius needed to get back inside.
As his class was walking inside Ambrosius waved one more time until the coach slapped him on the back of the head. Ambrosius quickly turned his attention to the coach.
Ambrosius listened to everything the coach said, assuming it was him being scolded.
Ambrosius placed a hand on the back of his head and apologized. He quickly waved one last time and headed back inside.
Ballister turned his attention back to the class. Class would end in 5 minutes anyway.
After a few minutes of waiting, the class ended. Everyone walked out of class since the school day already ended anyway.

Ballister was waiting for Ambrosius but after a bit of waiting, he wondered where Ambrosius was. He wouldn't usually be this late to their meeting spot.
Ballister thought to walk to the changing rooms.
Maybe he was just late.

Ballister looked around the locker rooms. He was just about to leave until he felt a sudden pressure on his shoulder.
"Hey, Ballister."
Lovely, it was Todd. And his group of hoodlums.
"What do you want Todd?"
"Nothing, what are you doing here Bal?" Putting much emphasis on the nickname Ambrosius uses.
"Don't call me that." Ballister shoves Todd off his shoulder.
"Oh yeah, 'cause that's reserved for your boyfriend." Todd jokes.
Ballister rolled his eyes at his remark.
"Look I'm just looking for Ambrosius."
"Pfftt, Ambrosius was the first to leave the locker rooms."
"He completely zipped out of class."One of Todd's friends said, who also happened to be in Ambrosius's class.
Ballister was confused. If he left in such a hurry, why didn't he meet at their meeting spot?
"Huh, thanks." Ballister grumbled. He was about to leave the room until someone pushed him to the floor.
Ballister landed on the hard surface right on his back.
Todd put his booted foot onto Ballister's chest hard.
Ballister struggled to breathe for a bit.
Todd grabbed Ballister's face.
"Hey, why are you leaving so soon?"

Ballister walked back to his and Ambrosius's meeting spot. He clutched his side, already feeling the bruise forming.
As Ballister was walking back two soft hands covered his eyes.
Ballister stopped confused.
"Guess who?" A sweet voice whispered from behind.
Ballister relaxed and sighed.
"Huh, I don't know?"
"Maybe it's Gloreth herself?" Ballister laughed as he set his free hand on the ones covering his eyes.
"Close." The voice laughed from behind.
Ballister laughed.
"Hey, Ambrosius."
"Hey, Bal!" The voice shouted from behind as he removed his hands. 
"Why were you late?"
"I tried looking for you." Ballister told Ambrosius.
"I had to go get something for your 16th birthdayyyy! Sorry, I was late." Ambrosius apologized.
"No, it's fine. I was just worried." Balliser chuckled at his excitement. Not even he was as excited for his own birthday as Ambrosius was.
"So what did you get?" Ballister wondered.
"You'll see." Ambrosius hugged Ballister tightly.
"Ack.." Ballister accidentally mumbled.
"Hey, are you okay?" Ambrosius asked a bit frantically as he let go.
"Yeah, it's nothing." Ballister replied.
"Can I see?" Ambrosius asked. At this point, Ambrosius could've become a nurse for the knights if he wanted to.
"Sure?" Ballister said unsurely.
Ballister pulled up his shirt just barely enough to see the light bruise forming.
"Jeez, what happened?" Ambrosius asked as he pulled his shirt back down.
"Todd." Ballister sighed.
Ambrosius mumbled something under his breath.
"Don't beat him up." Ballister sighed.
"Fine." Ambrosius groaned.
"Come on blondie." Ballister chuckled as he dragged Ambrosius out of the school building.

After a short walk. Ambrosius and Ballister sat on the bench atop the hill they always go to.
"Happy birthday Bal." Ambrosius smiled softly as he handed him a small box.
"Hm?" Ballister would be lying if he said he wasn't a bit shocked. He slowly unwrapped it.
It was a photo of them as children.
"Sorry, it's not anything super fancy."
Ballister smiled at the photo.
"It never needed to be." Ballister leaned against Ambrosius.
"I hope you like it at least." Ambrosius smiled nervously.
"I love it just as much as you." Ballister kissed Ambrosius on the cheek.
Ballister continued to lean against Ambrosius.

He looked down at the photo. A picture of them the first day they met.

Ballister wasn't bothered that it wasn't something rich or fancy. He was never one to want those kinds of gifts anyway.
He just loved the memories that came with them.